Mobile phones and navigation

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Mrs Tringa just mentioned something she saw online. The magnetic field from a mobile is strong enough to affect a compass. It is obvious but must admit I have never thought about before. I've just tried it and my phone's field is strong enough to move the compass needle easily and if the phone is very close it flips the needle by 180 degrees.

I can imagine someone in difficult conditions using a compass with a phone in a nearby pocket and being misled.

I might have missed it but I don't remember reading any warnings about the use of a compass close to a phone.

Dave

Darwin applies. Why should there be 'warnings' about this?

Who's Darwin :thinking:
I thought it was a place in the northern territories of Australia :D

yep magnets are in phones for sure.
also in all sorts of things now adays from clothes and bags to have easy closers

My phone has a compass, map and GPS ... I know where I am 24/7 ;) ... but so does Big Brother :eek:

Mrs Tringa just mentioned something she saw online. The magnetic field from a mobile is strong enough to affect a compass. It is obvious but must admit I have never thought about before. I've just tried it and my phone's field is strong enough to move the compass needle easily and if the phone is very close it flips the needle by 180 degrees.

I can imagine someone in difficult conditions using a compass with a phone in a nearby pocket and being misled.

I might have missed it but I don't remember reading any warnings about the use of a compass close to a phone.

Dave

This is exactly why I always carry a theodolite with me.

My diving compass used to be affected by my diving computer, put the two close together on your wrist and the needle would be pulled by a few degrees out of magnetic North. Had to wear the compass on the other wrist or have it free on a lanyard and not place the computer near it when using it.
One of my children has a pressure relief valve in the tummy that can be adjusted via magnets so she's not allowed to put a mobile or a laptop anywhere near it.
Lots of stuff affected by poor placement of magnets.

Never had any problems with compass or mobile. I also wear a watch with compass installed and never seen any movement on (Silva) compass when in my hand.

Back in the day ,before mobile phones and sat navs etc and without the need of even a compass ,I used to deliver stuff all over the u.k ,at the time working for a large carpet warehouse ,and funnily enough I never got lost ,I never failed to deliver ,I never got my seven ton Bedford t.k stuck in a narrow lane ,it must be amazing to today’s youth what you can do with a atlas and a brain .....

The mind boggles :beer:

yep magnets are in phones for sure.
also in all sorts of things now adays from clothes and bags to have easy closers
And even magnets in outdoor clothing, which is (supposedly) specifically designed to be used in situations where compasses are also used. And even in outdoor gloves. How stupid is that?

There was a story only yesterday where a group of walkers got into trouble because their compass was affected by a magnetic in a glove.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43063365

Back in the day ,before mobile phones and sat navs etc and without the need of even a compass ,I used to deliver stuff all over the u.k ,at the time working for a large carpet warehouse ,and funnily enough I never got lost ,I never failed to deliver ,I never got my seven ton Bedford t.k stuck in a narrow lane ,it must be amazing to today’s youth what you can do with a atlas and a brain .....

The mind boggles :beer:

Try it on foot on a mountain in the mist with no road to follow and no landmarks, see how far your AA road atlas gets you.

ahhh but I wouldn't be there in the first place, can just about walk up the stairs for a crap these days

Any object containing ferrous metal (even a bunch of keys) can affect a compass. How much deflection depends on proximity/size etc. A current in a conductor can deflect the needle. Radio transmissions from all sources can be disruptive. A compass is useless in places where the ground has a significant iron content. A mobile phone is an obvious contender for inducing inaccuracy. You need to be aware of a compass's limitations or it could become a "get you lost quick " aid.

Back