Critique Modalen, Norway [Fuji XT2 + 55-200mm]

It's a nice composition, but the colours seem a little off, with magenta rocks in the background and slightly odd grass.

It's a nice composition, but the colours seem a little off, with magenta rocks in the background and slightly odd grass.

Thanks, it must be a Fuji thing as I’m pretty sure this is 90% SOOC, but I’ll give it a looksie tonight, cheers. This was edited in C1.

Thanks, it must be a Fuji thing as I’m pretty sure this is 90% SOOC, but I’ll give it a looksie tonight, cheers. This was edited in C1.

It's not a fuji thing at all. It's how cameras get white balance wrong with a strong dominant colour in the frame. Here it's green and it's gone for magenta to "compensate". You have full control to select a different profile and / or re-adjust it in post.

Regarding the rest of the image I would have liked more sunny light and it may be interesting to see the full height of the rocks... Was there a particular reason you chose these 3 houses?

It's not a fuji thing at all. It's how cameras get white balance wrong with a strong dominant colour in the frame. Here it's green and it's gone for magenta to "compensate". You have full control to select a different profile and / or re-adjust it in post.

Regarding the rest of the image I would have liked more sunny light and it may be interesting to see the full height of the rocks... Was there a particular reason you chose these 3 houses?

I've only had my fuji camera 5 months, but after doing a bit of research it seems fuji film simulations don't particularly work well with auto white balance. Causes browns to look magenta. Have been advise to try a different one or use cloudy instead of auto white balance... regardless you are in part still correct I could of corrected the white using the white of the building (i thought i did), but that's why you post images in the critique forum.

With regards to the question... I was on a boat crammed with tourists the weather wasn't great so had to make do with what I had. The mountain behind the houses was roughly 500m away. Those 3 colourful houses were 3 of only 5 on this little stretch of land. What really drew me to this shot was the long reflection in the water. I was using a 55-200mm lens. I kinda wish I had my 18-55 on, but live and learn.

For the odd grass do you mean the colour is too saturated looking?

For the odd grass do you mean the colour is too saturated looking?

There's a bright greenness to it that doesn't look natural, almost certainly part of that preset film look.

I've only had my fuji camera 5 months, but after doing a bit of research it seems fuji film simulations don't particularly work well with auto white balance. Causes browns to look magenta.

If you're shooting RAW then best to ignore camera presets - you should be able to do a better job based on the actual image being processed.

There's a bright greenness to it that doesn't look natural, almost certainly part of that preset film look.

If you're shooting RAW then best to ignore camera presets - you should be able to do a better job based on the actual image being processed.

Velvia was the preset, which makes the colours vibrant, so by even putting the saturation to 10 makes the greens look weird. I guess I'll keep it at standard as I always shoot RAW.

Thanks for the help!

Velvia was the preset, which makes the colours vibrant, so by even putting the saturation to 10 makes the greens look weird. I guess I'll keep it at standard as I always shoot RAW.

Thanks for the help!

You might find that simply neutralising the colour temperature & tint & backing off green saturation a little would make it much more realistic. Always go with what looks good, rather than accepting what the camera offers as a staring point, and if in doubt, find a good photo of a similar thing online or in a book as a reference point.

I think you won't have much trouble in making corrections with an editing suite. An easy one to use is Adobe elements. there is a free trial download you can have a play with
Google " adobe elements trial download"

Last edited:
I think you won't have much trouble in making corrections with an editing suite. An easy one to use is Adobe elements. there are free trial download you can have a play with
Google " adobe elements trial download"

I used CaptureOne for this, but I've only been using it for 3/4 months. Originally used LR before hand before I switched to Fuji. I'm definitely more aware of the magenta cast now. Will see what I can do to get rid of it in C1.

In camera - unless in really extreme indoor locations or twilight I tend to keep the WB on cloudy setting. I'll adjust each colour curve in post anyway to remove any casting and getting the colours as neutral as possible.

Back