Model releases Arrgh!

Edit My Images
Yes
I know the question about model releases has been asked and asked again but could someone please tell me once and for all if I need them for the following job?

We are going to photograph local people doing local things (I know that sounds a bit like the league of gentlemen) at their homes or places of work, with their permission. We have plans for these shots which include making money from them.

Do I need to get these people to sign a model release? Thanks.

I would say yes.

Without the release you have no proof that the people gave their permission. In particular anyone buying the images from you for commercial use would want to see this.

Depends how you want to make the money. If it's through editorial sales then I don't believe you do. If you plan to sell them for use in marketing or advertising etc then yes you do. Won't hurt to have one either way.

I don't know the legally correct answer sorry but I wonder if the fact you will be taking them on private property rather than in a public place would have any bearing on the advice offered above? :thinking:

It can't hurt to get a release, even if you don't end up using it.

Another option for a template can be found here on the Digital Photo/Practical Photography website :)

To drag this back up......

We want to start shooting for this book, but I'm still unsure about releases. OK, if I was taking a shot of one person it would be easy enough but what a group shot? Say a dozen people in a pub? Would I need to get them all to sign a release? What about the pub itself?

Also, I read that you have to give something in return for a release: either money or prints (or something else), you cannot give nothing. Would I have to pay everyone, or give everyone prints?

*confused smilie*

Thanks but........

All of them? (if it is a group shot)......and what do I pay each and every one of them?

There is no requirement to pay for a release - if someone has worked hard for you to get the shot right then you should of course pay them in some way and if you didn't they could refuse to sign unless you did but if it is just a quick group shot then I'd just task them all to sign the release quickly and then let them get back to whatever they were doing.
(y)

There is no requirement to pay for a release

...what about this? (half way down the page under 'model releases')

A model release is a binding contract that agrees to relinquish specific future claims of equity in return for a 'valuable consideration'. This is usually payment, but can be prints or some other agreeable exchange. However it cannot be nothing; without 'valuable consideration' no contract is formed.

:thinking:

Rubbish I'm afraid. A contract is simply a signed promise, it is not necessarily (though it can be, and often will be) an extended receipt for an intended exchange of goods or services.

It is good practice to pay people if they deserve it but I can't see why you would if they don't. I've shot for fun with friends and then had releases signed before sending off to stock sites and the such.

I'm sure you could find plenty of examples either way.

A contract requires "consideration" from all parties but a model release can simply be an agreement, the subject agrees to specified uses of the images.

Reading through the blurb below, "valuable consideration" can be classed as Photographers time and labour. In other words the payment they recieve is the effort you put into the work.

Full text below on valuable consideration from the law encylopedia

In the formation of a valid and binding contract, something of worth or value that is either a detriment incurred by the person making the promise or a benefit received by the other person.

In contract law consideration is required as an inducement to enter into a contract that is enforceable in the courts. It is an essential element for the formation of a contract. What constitutes sufficient consideration, however, has been the subject of continuing legal debate. Contracts and courts generally use the term valuable consideration to signify consideration sufficient to sustain an enforceable agreement.

In general, consideration consists of a promise to perform a desired act or a promise to refrain from doing an act that one is legally entitled to do. Thus, a person who seeks to enforce a promise must have paid or obligated herself to pay money, delivered goods, expended time and labor, or forgone some other profitable activity or legal right. For example, in a contract for the sale of goods the money paid is the valuable consideration for the vendor, and the property sold is the consideration for the purchaser.

In early common law nominal consideration was sufficient to establish a contract. The consideration could be as small as a peppercorn or a cent as long as it demonstrated that the parties intended to enter into an agreement. Eventually, the courts developed the requirement of valuable consideration, but what constitutes it has varied over time. Valuable consideration does not necessarily have to be equal in value to what is received, and it need not be translatable into dollars and cents. It is sufficient for the consideration to consist of a performance or a promise to perform that the promisor (the person making the promise) regards as having value. It is not essential that the person to whom the consideration moves should be benefited, provided the person from whom it moves is, in a legal sense, injured. The injury can consist of refusing to sue on a disputed claim or to exercise a legal right. The alteration in position is regarded as a detriment that forms consideration independent of the actual value of the right relinquished.

Nope, completely the wrong end of the stick. The subject hasn't employed the services of the photographer so the photographer's time isn't for the benefit of the subject.

Nope, completely the wrong end of the stick. The subject hasn't employed the services of the photographer so the photographer's time isn't for the benefit of the subject.

Ah well I tried - If there is a wrong end to be grabbed, I'm the one with arms outstretched.

Pay them 1p each, even a group shot of a hundred will only cost you a pound.

Back