Modeling, strobe, speedlight differences..

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I've just been looking on Amazon and seen this product.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...dpPl=1&dpID=51IgZUx3tuL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Now by looking at it, I thought it was a continuous light which is pretty much what you see is what you get when you shoot (depending upon the exposure triangle obviously)
I know obviously a speedlight is a flash which is either triggered remotel or via hotshot. And I know strobe is a flash on for the shot.

Now what confused me. This product says it is a modeling lamp (which I am assuming is a continuous light. But it's also a strobe. So how does this work?
And what is the correct definition of a light which is of continuous lighting at variable power option? (such as the style the likes of Peter hurley etc would use?)

Thanks for your help.

It is a strobe, and has a separate modelling light so that you can get some idea of the effect you will get before you fire the shot. When the strobe is fired it is much stronger than the modelling light. If you look at the fourth shot, the glass ring is the flash and the bulb in the centre is the modelling light.

Last edited:
Now what confused me. This product says it is a modeling lamp (which I am assuming is a continuous light. But it's also a strobe. So how does this work?
And what is the correct definition of a light which is of continuous lighting at variable power option? (such as the style the likes of Peter hurley etc would use?)

It's a studio flash that has a modelling light, I wouldn't really recommend this model but the design is pretty much how all mains powered flash units are designed, they include a modelling light to make working in a studio easier as it allows you to approximate how the flash is going to look (modelling lights are also handy in a dim room).

They have other uses of course, you can use them for lighting a video but typically this is done by more expensive continuous equipment. Generally it's recommended to stick to flash for photography as with practice you learn what the light will look like, it's got less limitations in practice and you can buy a flash kit cheaply that will do the job well while good continuous equipment tends to be expensive but ultimately anyone is free to work however they please assuming they're properly meeting their requirements.

As above; but strobe is an Americanism that winds up uk photographers even though it’s easier than our description. ;)

Back to the product in question. It’s great value, but lacking in some areas that’ll ultimately bother you.

For the same money, you could buy a single 300Ws Godox ‘strobe’ a decent quality pop up softbox, a quality damped stand and intelligent trigger system.

Which would be a better solution, most people start with 2 or 3 lights and frustrate themselves instantly. Master one light, add more later when you know why you need to.

Back