Modelling lamps for Elinchrom D-Lites

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
The 'official' lamps are bulb-shaped pearl Leuci ones, rated 100w x 196v. I've been wondering about normal mains voltage substitutes, so did some schoolboy-level sums.

'Official' Leuci bulbs (as rated) are 100w divided by 196v = 0.51 amps. 196v divided by 0.51 amps = 384 ohms bulb resistance.

As possible substitutes, Osram Ceram 230v halogen bulbs (as rated) are 100w divided by 230w = 0.435 amps. 230v divided by 0.435 amps = 530 ohms bulb resistance. Running at 196v, then current draw would be 196v over 530 ohms = 0.37 amps as against the above 0.51a for the Leucis.

So the current draw is less, so presumably they are cooler, and surely they couldn't harm the flash head in any way?

They have clear glass and are bright! And being filament bulbs, are dimmable. They have a good shape in that the bulb has parallel sides, so obscures the annular flash tube less. They are also double-walled, so presumably safe in that regard.

Any informed thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use an energy efficient bulb but the basic ratings are fine. I think most Elinchrom monoblocks allow for up to 150w and I assume the head is just putting out mains voltage so the 196v bulb should run a bit brighter and hotter than a 230v bulb.

You do have to be careful about the physical size, one of the reasons they use those mushroom shaped bulbs is because longer ones won't fit inside some of the protective caps.

It's the standard bulbs that are badged as 196v, Simon, so I might assume that that's what the head supplies them with? I wouldn't want anything that got too hot in a softbox. The physical size fits ok inside the protective cap - not an issue.

Last edited:
It's the standard bulbs that are badged as 196v, Simon, so I might assume that that's what the head supplies them with? I wouldn't want anything that got too hot in a softbox. The physical size fits ok inside the protective cap - not an issue.

I know but I still expect the head to just be passing on whatever voltage is supplied, they've just opted for a lower voltage bulb, if you look at the heads they sell in the US they include a 120v bulb so I highly doubt they're doing anything to convert the voltage as that would just add cost/complexity where none is needed.

As I said most of their heads are rated for 150w max so you won't have a problem with a 100w bulb that runs at a higher voltage, that's going to run cooler as you already established.

Yes indeed, and thank-you Simon. My only concern was that I might upset the electronics. But seems to be working fine so far.

Back