Models - where does one go?

Edit My Images
Yes
To find models. I don't even necessarily want models. Just people willing to be my guinea pigs. I'd like to have the opportunity to give people photography a go, and don't have any willing participants to help me.

I have been on Model Mayhem but not a single bit of luck in finding a model, despite contacting a few, too.

Are there any other places I could go, or does anyone know someone (pref female) 20-25years who'd be willing to 'model' for me for a shoot? Must be comfortable infront of the camera.

Lifestyle, natural light photography....

You shouldn't have too much trouble on model mayhem? You could try purestorm, join a few groups on facebook. The better your profile, the more likely you'll be to get better models I've found :)

The main thing is to explain who you are what you currently do and what you want to do, and put a link to your site, so models can see you're a good photographer (love your work BTW). You may get someone willing to work TFP, but otherwise if you want to get the ball rolling, just offer payment, you'll be inundated with willing models :)

That's maybe the problem my profile isn't going to be amazing because I have only two pictures of people in my whole picture library....

I've put all that information in, ugh.
Unfortunatley at the moment I am stone cold broke so can't offer anything other than time for print (can only just about afford the print at the moment!)
If I was to be able to offer payment, how much would I be expected to pay?

And thanks Treeman :)

to be honest, to start out if you're short it's best to ask family and friends.
don't even publish most of them, just experiment and see what techniques work for you best

Friends, acquaintances, or even strangers. Model Mayhem is also an option. Just make sure you come across as professional and deliberate when approaching potential models.

Is there a local photography club that you can join? That is how I started building my portfolio.

That's maybe the problem my profile isn't going to be amazing because I have only two pictures of people in my whole picture library....

I've put all that information in, ugh.
Unfortunatley at the moment I am stone cold broke so can't offer anything other than time for print (can only just about afford the print at the moment!)
If I was to be able to offer payment, how much would I be expected to pay?

And thanks Treeman :)

Best way is to search for a model near you that does TFP. Print usually means images these days rather than actual prints, but clarify anyway (also on Purestorm) and just PM them and send them a link to your Flickr/Blog so they can see your current work and just explain you are starting and therefore don't have any models shots yet - just be honest I'm sure you'll find someone. Once you get the images up the "hit rate" gets easier

Have fun

PM sent with details of a young lady I work with - may have to come to London though

.DAVID.

Model Mayhem is the best site when starting, and then move on to pure storm.
If I was you, I'd offer £30 for a couple of hours shooting. You will get someone who probably knows a bit more about it rather than someone who wants to be a model and has either no chance or experience. That may sound a little harsh, but if you really want to practice, and neither you or the model have any experience, you may find it a real struggle.

In the same boat regarding finding models.
Age isnt a problem, probably looking for more mature but still in good shape women and relaxed in theyre own body/bodies.
Purestorm isnt much use when youre trying to get a portfolio started since they require a minimum of 6 different mnodel images plus other qualifying stuff.
I havent tried model mayhem yet so cant comment but have tried other media with mediocre responses, mostly all talk but ultimately bottling out.

MJ Stebbings said:
Model Mayhem is the best site when starting, and then move on to pure storm.
If I was you, I'd offer £30 for a couple of hours shooting. You will get someone who probably knows a bit more about it rather than someone who wants to be a model and has either no chance or experience. That may sound a little harsh, but if you really want to practice, and neither you or the model have any experience, you may find it a real struggle.

Excellent advice. You might be surprised at the calibre of model you can get, even for £15. On the other hand, when it's just a TF shoot, you might be surprised how many people make a booking but then no-show.

Even a small budget helps sort the wheat from the Chavs.

Some good (and bad) advice above...
TFP is (should be) a two-way street. Someone who is (or wants to be) a model works with you in the expectation of getting some shots that will help her to get paid work...

Are you capable of producing shots that will help her?
And even if you are, how can you prove it unless you display good examples?

OK, let's move on and assume that someone is prepared to take a chance on you. What sort of person will you get?

Well, if you get anyone at all, and if she actually turns up (most of the wannabe models are a waste of space and can't be bothered to actually turn up) then she will have no more idea than you do yourself, so both of you will end up with nothing.

I'm sure that this sounds hard, but it's the truth, so your choices are really
1. Pay the model - just advertise a paid job and you'll be innundated with offers
2. Stick to family and friends until you have something decent to offer

Excellent advice. You might be surprised at the calibre of model you can get, even for £15. On the other hand, when it's just a TF shoot, you might be surprised how many people make a booking but then no-show.

Even a small budget helps sort the wheat from the Chavs.

Thank you. I had to say though, I have never paid a model :LOL: I'm lucky to have good looking female friends.
However, the advice I've given is from experience. I have not been able to sort any tf shoots through MM or Purestorm due to people messing me around (and partly due to living in Peterborough). I put one paid casting up and get a flood of responses, and I'm in the process of sorting a shoot with a full-time professional model.

It just goes to show the difference offering a few quid on the line.

What about a local camera club? It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of them organise model nights and it'll be cheaper than trying to hire a model and studio yourself. If you get a couple of decent shots for a web portfolio that's all you can really expect from such shoots, but it all adds up and you'll be able to see how other photographers work with the model as well.

Also, what about studio days?
Some studios around offer training days and studio days which would be a great place to learn and something I am looking at next year

Thanks so much for all your help and replies, guys!!

I am an on location, natural light shooter only so studio days aren't gonna be much use.
I also, unfortunatley don't have much by way of a circle of friends in terms of modelling/knowing people who'll model.

I will think about the paying £15-£30, yeah, cos I do want someone experienced a little, as said above it could be a disaster otherwise!

Yeah man, I think thats the best way to go.
With no portfolio, it will be hard to get someone to do a TF shoot with you, so the offer of finances always helps.

Plus, your location may be benificial. I live in a dire area as far as models are concerned!

i can't find models, is it weird to ask random people? and to take a backdrop and lighting to there house?

i even put it on facebook saying i would do it for free... i have no confidence to ask people :(

Also, what about studio days?
Some studios around offer training days and studio days which would be a great place to learn and something I am looking at next year

I agree with this.

Even if you are planning on doing outdoor/location shoots, having a few studio shots for your portfolio will at least capture the eye of models who will be viewing your profile.

Search for nearby photography studios and see if they offer any studio days and groupshoots ;)

The purestorm forums are great for finding days. Might cost you a little more but means A) you get to use a professional model and B) you get to use the studio.

I do all my stuff on location, but I shall be attending one-on-one studio training in the new year that will set me back near £100 for 2 hours.

Or look in meetings for studio days on here. We had one on Sunday. Or better still, organise one in your area!

Paid my first model today, took 88 pictures, all 88 different. I would say 70 of them are amazing posed and facial expressions.
The hardest part is choosing which ones to use!

Can I just say you might be better getting a more experienced model to start with who does not need directing and telling what to do as you have no experience/knowledge as to what you are looking for just yet.

Threads like this make me very grateful to be a 16 year old guy :D I really should get my portfolio going some time soon; probably over next summer :)

The purestorm forums are great for finding days. Might cost you a little more but means A) you get to use a professional model and B) you get to use the studio.

I do all my stuff on location, but I shall be attending one-on-one studio training in the new year that will set me back near £100 for 2 hours.

Have a look at this guy, he is a mate of mine but is very good , you will get a lot more than 2 hours one to one with him.
http://www.stevecheshire.com/

if anyone is in Nottingham I have a daughter and 2 photogenic sons !! -

ETA grown up !!
it just sounds creepy otherwise !!

Likes the sound of this thread now. Must be more folks on here with willing ralatives/friends. As far as I am concerned Kids, boy/girl, adults, men/woman Older folks who often have life/weather worn faces full of character and life experience. wrinkles? Don't hide 'em. I want to photograph 'em! Don't do nudes or full figure shots but willing to try, (Nudes, adults only of course). More interested in faces expressions and eyes eyes eyes.
Like many here I guess, I am financially embarrassed. A lovely wife, three sons and a house full of animals with do that to you. So how about a swap thing. Photographers being models and then swappng over. No money involved but hopefully plenty of good pics and a few laughs along the way.
By the way. I am forty something, skinny with a bit of middle age spread and going bald God's gift to woman I am not, but if you are in it for the photography that won't matter to a lot of folks.

Back