Models

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Which model booking service do people recommend? Looking for models for portraiture in the main. I've had a look at pure storm and purpleport.

Also any tips/advice re booking, will be looking for models with some experience and expecting to pay, but no idea of what is a reasonable rate range.

Purpleport
Madcowmodels
Modelmayhem

Social media (Facebook groups, might be something in your area)

All offer free accounts, so why not give them a try?

I'll chuck an extra recommendation for purpleport.
Used it for a while now and never had a model let me down.
Just remember to check their feedback and don't pay in advance and you should be fine.
The community is really good there too if you get involved.
I'm on under Silkworm images if you fancy checking out my profile (shameless plug).

Also if you can get some good TFP models on their too who are as professional as the paid ones

Just remember to check their feedback and don't pay in advance and you should be fine.
I'm on under Silkworm images if you fancy checking out my profile (shameless plug).

Also if you can get some good TFP models on their too who are as professional as the paid ones
Thanks Simon, much appreciated. I'll sign up later today I think.

TFP ? = Time For Pics??

Print originally - but Pics is a better idea in todays world, as most would supply digital files.

In my experience tfp models are very hit and miss. They won't be able to help you in any way and are often flacky

Models are like photographers... you generally get what you pay for...
Working with a talented/experienced model is night/day different and it *will* reflect in the photos.

Thanks chaps, like I said in my opening post I am expecting to pay ... I just don't know what is a reasonable rate yet :)

Thanks chaps, like I said in my opening post I am expecting to pay ... I just don't know what is a reasonable rate yet :)

from purple port I would expect £30/ph as a reasonable rate. They do vary, but much less then that and they won't provide any help with the shoot/booking etc (be honest about your experience, anyone good will want you to have a happy experience) and much more you're starting to get to the very good/people you'd use for a specific project

from purple port I would expect £30/ph as a reasonable rate. They do vary, but much less then that and they won't provide any help with the shoot/booking etc (be honest about your experience, anyone good will want you to have a happy experience) and much more you're starting to get to the very good/people you'd use for a specific project
Thanks Hugh.

I'm on Purpleport (I think, not been on in ages lol) - ah yes I am, just logged in to check :D

I've tried a few TFP and while about half of them do turn up, they often haven't a clue and you're as well off shooting your own family or their friends

Of the few I've paid for £20 phr gets you some experience and they tend to turn up, but at £30+ phr or more you can get really great people. The last of which I shot with a friend and any idiot could have got great photos of her, I actually had to slow her down as every click she changed pose and I had to explain that her best poses warranted several compositions and lighting changes - so keep them! lol

If you look here... http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/strobist-ocf-portrait-workshop/ the first girl in the floral dress was the highest paid and easiest to shoot, but the redhead further down was a family friend and unpaid

Its defo fun though :)

Dave

I'm on Purpleport (I think, not been on in ages lol) - ah yes I am, just logged in to check :D

I've tried a few TFP and while about half of them do turn up, they often haven't a clue and you're as well off shooting your own family or their friends

Of the few I've paid for £20 phr gets you some experience and they tend to turn up, but at £30+ phr or more you can get really great people. The last of which I shot with a friend and any idiot could have got great photos of her, I actually had to slow her down as every click she changed pose and I had to explain that her best poses warranted several compositions and lighting changes - so keep them! lol

If you look here... http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/strobist-ocf-portrait-workshop/ the first girl in the floral dress was the highest paid and easiest to shoot, but the redhead further down was a family friend and unpaid

Dave
Brilliant Dave, thanks

I've also shot the first girl in Daves link but I shot her in her home studio.
She was my first solo model shoot and she made it dead easy.

I've booked three from purple port, two turned up and were excellent, one was a no show. Two were paid (£15 p/h & £30 p/h) and one was supposed to be tfp.

I found Facebook to be a waste of time but that could just be the groups I was in, others have differing experiences.

Dave

PurplePort all the way for the UK. It took me a disappointingly long time to work out that modelling is a real skill and there are some great people on PP.

I've never had a no-show and very rarely pay but I tend to do TF only with people I've met or where we have a mutual contact / friend. Those folk have varied from complete newbies to very good indeed.

Price-wise my experience is much like Dave's - £15-20 ph will get you someone ok, £25-30/hour for someone good and £45/hour for someone at the top of their game.

Also any tips/advice re booking

The best models are in high demand and have limited availability; the remainder may well be open to negotiation.

Be clear and concise with your messaging. Most models get a lot of messages and don't have the time or inclination to do email ping pong. The pros want a clear statement of location, duration, theme, hair, makeup & outfit requirements in as few messages as possible.

It will help if you get some references - perhaps attend a studio day (where models book a studio and sell time by the hour), group shoot or workshop to get a couple of references under your belt?

PurplePort all the way for the UK. It took me a disappointingly long time to work out that modelling is a real skill and there are some great people on PP.

I've never had a no-show and very rarely pay but I tend to do TF only with people I've met or where we have a mutual contact / friend. Those folk have varied from complete newbies to very good indeed.

Price-wise my experience is much like Dave's - £15-20 ph will get you someone ok, £25-30/hour for someone good and £45/hour for someone at the top of their game.

The best models are in high demand and have limited availability; the remainder may well be open to negotiation.

Be clear and concise with your messaging. Most models get a lot of messages and don't have the time or inclination to do email ping pong. The pros want a clear statement of location, duration, theme, hair, makeup & outfit requirements in as few messages as possible.

It will help if you get some references - perhaps attend a studio day (where models book a studio and sell time by the hour), group shoot or workshop to get a couple of references under your belt?
Thanks Simon, I've just registered on PP.

One very good way of doing it, regardless of the site, is to post a "Casting Call"
Basically you go into detail about what you want to achieve and the type of person you're looking for, and specify that it's a paid shoot, for pro models only.
The models who are interested will then contact you and you can then get back to any that are of interest. You will also find that doing it this way round is much cheaper, as many of the models will offer cut price rates to get the work.

Dave
Agreed.

Another vote for Purpleport, I use it quite often and find it hit and miss as regards TFP, if I see a model I want to shoot I will pay them, if someone approaches me I will often do TFP and I do collaborations with make up artists, modes and stylists now and then.

Purpleport is by far the busiest site at the moment with new members joining every day but like every site there are the cliques forming, I don't tend to post on the forums and keep myself to myself.

of course you do still come across the odd dopey bit who wants paying who still seems pretty chuffing clueless

Yes- new model who just seems unable to understand instructions. Waste of time :)
oh dear, I must be honest I worry that may happen, but I guess just being patient and you get there in the end (hopefully). Hope it wasn't a total disaster.

oh dear, I must be honest I worry that may happen, but I guess just being patient and you get there in the end (hopefully). Hope it wasn't a total disaster.

No it hasn't been. It was more frustrating then anything. Atleast I caught it nice and early

of course you do still come across the odd dopey bit who wants paying who still seems pretty chuffing clueless
Yes, it's impossible to totally avoid this.
But IMO the best way of minimising it is to only hire professional models, the TFP ones are often just Walts who are dreaming about being a real model.
Pro models make it easy, and you'll learn from them. Be aware though that they all model for people who are totally clueless as well as for skilled photograhers, so ignore any and all advice on things like lighting

Can I just say i love your Flickr handle... XD

Well, I have put my first casting call up on PP and have had quite a number of replies ... many are not really what I want, some are from people I'd like to work with but not this shoot and a few are what I'm looking for.

For those that use PP (@juggler, @Simon Kitt, @boyfalldown) how do you say No to models etc?

Well, I have put my first casting call up on PP and have had quite a number of replies ... many are not really what I want, some are from people I'd like to work with but not this shoot and a few are what I'm looking for.

For those that use PP (@juggler, @Simon Kitt, @boyfalldown) how do you say No to models etc?

Just be honest & polite. If you'd like to work with someone in the future but they're not right this time tell them that.

Just don't ignore them

Pretty much what Hugh @boyfalldown said. Be polite, let them know that you don't believe they are right for this shoot or don't have the look your going for but would like to work with them in the near future on another project and will add them to your "want to work with" list.

Sometimes you get models who get a bit funny (for instance I had a casting call for a tall blonde model for a beach shoot and got a short brunette who didn't take the rejection well. Told me I was discrediting her due to her hair colour and height. I agreed I was as that's what the casting call was for and told her unfortunately I didn't think she would be the right fit for working with me. She put something on the forum's about it and everyone agreed with me.)

Good luck with the shoot.

Pretty much what Hugh @boyfalldown said. Be polite, let them know that you don't believe they are right for this shoot or don't have the look your going for but would like to work with them in the near future on another project and will add them to your "want to work with" list.

Sometimes you get models who get a bit funny (for instance I had a casting call for a tall blonde model for a beach shoot and got a short brunette who didn't take the rejection well. Told me I was discrediting her due to her hair colour and height. I agreed I was as that's what the casting call was for and told her unfortunately I didn't think she would be the right fit for working with me. She put something on the forum's about it and everyone agreed with me.)

Good luck with the shoot.
Thanks Simon, I wouldn't have ignored them as that is rude, and I try not to be. Hopefully no one will get too upset.

Thanks Simon, I wouldn't have ignored them as that is rude, and I try not to be. Hopefully no one will get too upset.

Fortunately Simon's experience is unusual. Most people are realistic about what they apply for

I'm rubbish at saying no to people - a simple 'thanks for getting touch, I've now filled the casting' or 'maybe another time' will do.

Then there was the stunning black model who approached me and said she wanted to do some moody studio fashion duo stuff with an Asian male model.

- I asked her for some reference images..
- She sent a pic of a blonde in a sunflower field..
- I said is that the kind of thing you really had in mind?
- She sent a pic of a goth in a bikini stretched out over a motorbike..
- I didn't reply. She started WhatsApping me while I was on holiday in France..

.. she's since been removed from PP.

I'm rubbish at saying no to people - a simple 'thanks for getting touch, I've now filled the casting' or 'maybe another time' will do.

Then there was the stunning black model who approached me and said she wanted to do some moody studio fashion duo stuff with an Asian male model.

- I asked her for some reference images..
- She sent a pic of a blonde in a sunflower field..
- I said is that the kind of thing you really had in mind?
- She sent a pic of a goth in a bikini stretched out over a motorbike..
- I didn't reply. She started WhatsApping me while I was on holiday in France..

.. she's since been removed from PP.
Well if nothing else it gave me a good chuckle :)

Back