modern Canon users, advice please :)

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been borrowing my dad's gripped Canon EOS-1V for a week and in comparison to my 20D digital its VERY nice. Proper solid feel very easy and intuitive to use, its just blown my desire for a 5D to replace my 20 out of the water. Problem is he wants it back this weekend and I like it.

So the EOS-1v is out of my price range unless I fall upon a bargain not a hope, I'm considering selling my Pentax spot bits to fund this. How does the EOS-5 compare? a gripped EOS-5 would be do-able, what differences will I notice between the two (1v and 5) from those who have used them. the focusing and general software side appears to be the same. 5 is plastic where as the 1v is magnesium body, does this make much difference? frame rate isn't a big issue really and how does the weather sealing compare.

will I notice a big step down from the 1v to the 5?

Not tried a 1V but have a 5 (film jobby) and I do notice the focus seems slower on the old film camera as opposed to even a 5D.
The 5 has eye focus control (updated on the 50E, which I also have) I think the eye control on the 5 is pretty much useless, whereas the 50E is quite good, so much so I wish the digital bodies had it.
Plastic body - I have heard of people dropping 5's off car roofs and they survive pretty well as the body absorbs the shock and bounce back into shape, I have no doubt the 5 is a very tough camera.
It was for a while almost the flagship film camera for Canon so I doubt you'll notice a massive difference, tbh my view is that film camera bodies tended to be pretty much identical in what they could produce, it was more down to the lens and the film (and operator of course) and how you interact with it, namely is it comfy, are the controls where you want them etc

Matt

I have been borrowing my dad's gripped Canon EOS-1V for a week and in comparison to my 20D digital its VERY nice. Proper solid feel very easy and intuitive to use, its just blown my desire for a 5D to replace my 20 out of the water. Problem is he wants it back this weekend and I like it.
I'm not surprised - only digital that equates to it is the EOS-1D range!

So the EOS-1v is out of my price range unless I fall upon a bargain not a hope, I'm considering selling my Pentax spot bits to fund this. How does the EOS-5 compare? a gripped EOS-5 would be do-able, what differences will I notice between the two (1v and 5) from those who have used them. the focusing and general software side appears to be the same. 5 is plastic where as the 1v is magnesium body, does this make much difference? frame rate isn't a big issue really and how does the weather sealing compare.
5 is plastic, yep, and shiny, but feels pretty solid. Weather sealing isn't anywhere as good - it's got robber grommets under all the switches (mine blew up "Had Issues", and I've had it in bits...

will I notice a big step down from the 1v to the 5?
Yes

My advice would be stretch your budget to the EOS-3 if you can possibly manage it. It's pretty much a Polycarbonate bodied version of the 1V - rock solid - I've a mate who has a pair of them he used when 'togger on cruise liners - 20 rolls of 36 exposure every night - 5 days a week for 2 and a bit years. He says in the whole time, he never lost a film to any camera error :shrug: They also both look a little "worn smooth" in places, but still never miss a beat even now! Failing that, my other recomendation would be the EOS-30 - pretty much a film version of the EOS 30D, and one of the last ones designed, so you can actually pick up a reasonably recent example for buttons - certainly for same as a EOS-5, and having owned all three - i'd take the EOS-3 any day, and twice on sunday, with the EOS-30 as a backup body for BB&W neg film, while the EOS-5 sat in its box.

I have the Canon EOS 1nHS, and also the EOS 5. I still use both frequently and the 5 gives good results for both negative and slide. Eye focus on the 5 is good and easy to use, although unlike the 50e, it does not work in the vertical position. The 1nHS is not quite as fast in fps as the 1V, but do you need all that speed ? I have never shot more than 3 frames at high speed. The 5 was about £900.00 when first brought out, and I believe dealers in UK are selling them at about £50.00. Try and EOS 3 if you can afford it.

The big deal about the EOS-1V, and the EOS-3 is more the AF abilities than the frames per second, I feel - to be absoloutely honest, If i'm going to "machine gun" shots, then i'm most likely to dig out the Digital - after all - changing films after every 5 seconds shooting wears thin pretty quickly :LOL: The AF speed and accuracy of the EOS-3 is far in excess of anything the EOS-5 manages, and even works in pretty low-light provided you have some decent f/2.8 or faster glass on there.

Eye focus on the 5 is good and easy to use, although unlike the 50e, it does not work in the vertical position.

Different folks, different strokes :)

Matt

bloody retard!!!

I meant EOS-3, not EOS-5. I have seen EOS-3s for under a ton which is probably where I'm looking 1vs seem to be around £250 which is more than I'm willing to spend.

So sorry for those who made the effort to reply...

I don't need the FPS speed of the 1V, its just my reference as I've been using it all week and have it sat on my desk (need to finish the film off before sunday).

EOS-1V vs EOS-3... what differences will I see?

bloody retard!!!

I meant EOS-3, not EOS-5. I have seen EOS-3s for under a ton which is probably where I'm looking 1vs seem to be around £250 which is more than I'm willing to spend.

So sorry for those who made the effort to reply...

I don't need the FPS speed of the 1V, its just my reference as I've been using it all week and have it sat on my desk (need to finish the film off before sunday).

EOS-1V vs EOS-3... what differences will I see?

2-3 fps less with the PB-E2 attched, and £150 more in your wallet to spend on film. Only other thing missing afaik is the Shooting data recording system on the 1V... I've never used one to know how much use that is :shrug:

I had an EOS 3. Before it was mine it was my father's, and he replaced it with a 1v (sadly he didn't keep that camera very long - not because anything was wrong with it, but because digital destroyed film for the way we shoot).

The EOS 3 is 95-99% of the EOS 1v, depending on what it is you want to do. Specific advantages of the EOS 1v over the 3:

1) Build. There's nothing wrong with the 3, it's as tough as the EOS 1 and 1n were. The 1v just took things to a whole new level in the EOS system. The 1V is cast magnesium chassis with rubber gasketed buttons. The 3 is engineering plastic on a stainless steel frame.

2) Viewfinder - the 1v has 100%, the EOS 3 is 97%.

3) Home position button - the 1v has it, the 3 does not.

4) Mirror/shutter - the 1v has a faster, more durable setup with shorter vf blackout. The 3 is unlikely to disappoint, however.

5) Data recording and personal functions. The 1v can store exposure info about the shots taken, and personal functions can be loaded into the camera. These things require the ES-E1 cable and software, which has long since been discontinued.

None of those things were hugely significant for me, and I was very pleased with the EOS 3 - none of my digitals have come close.

Back