Modern Film Prints - are they as good?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been wondering if prints from film developed and scanned are as good as traditional enlargement techniques. I've had a few 35mm rolls printed/scanned at 7x5 and they look fine, but what about anything bigger? I'm guessing 35mm can't compete with dslr quality over a certain point. What is the biggest size I can expect to get a nice sized print from a 35mm negative? I'm thinking of wall hung in the house, not bus stop size.

Last edited:
I've had some done at A3 that look pretty good. I'm sure the flaws would show up under a magnifying glass, but I've been very happy with them. Those were scanned from transparency (probably Kodachrome, but may have been Ektachrome) on a Plustek scanner. I'm sure you could do better with a drum scan.

I regularly do A4 ink jets from a 35mm 'medium' scan and they look great

If you get something like a drum scan than the only limiting factors are going to be with the negative, and your taste and the viewing of the print. Ie how much grain you like, how close the print is going to be viewed etc
I've had a Kodachrome slide scanned at max settings on a Noritsu and had A3 C-type prints done at the same time, and they look pretty stunning

I do my own scanning on an Epson flatbed, so my scans won't be the same as yours. I've found to my surprise that Kodachrome scans will work satisfactorily at A3 - I haven't tried pushing furthur.

Back