Moisture inside lens

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I put the camera (Pentax K50) outside last night to take advantage of the first fully cloudless night we have had for weeks around here. Although it was beyond the period of peak activity, I was hoping to capture some of the Orionids. What I actually got was a beautifully clear sky, a passing aircraft and a satellite.

However, I now have a problem. I used a lens warmer overnight to keep the front element clear of moisture and that was fine. But now, an hour after bringing the camera in this morning, I found a patch of condensation had appeared inside the front element of the lens, a Samyang 16mm f2. I re-wrapped the lens in the warmer and plugged it into a USB outlet on my wall socket in the hope that warming it up may dispel the condensation, but I am not sure that this will actually decrease the overall moisture level inside the lens. I've used this lens overnight on countless occasions and this is the first time I have experienced this problem.

I was wondering if this is something that other people have experienced, and how they have resolved it.

Thank you.

Should have maybe left it back outside for a bit longer. Just the extreme temperature and humidity difference that caused it.

Direct sunlight might be the best option for now.

Not something I've ever had happen I usually leave my camera gear in the bag for many hours after a night out.

Should have maybe left it back outside for a bit longer. Just the extreme temperature and humidity difference that caused it.

Direct sunlight might be the best option for now.

Not something I've ever had happen I usually leave my camera gear in the bag for many hours after a night out.
Thanks Lee. On that advice, I've placed the lens outside in the sun.

Airing cupboard? or maybe a bag with some silica gel packets? A friend of mine swears by long grain rice for drying out things, not sure I'd try that myself though.

I have had this happen on my old Sigma 120-400mm lens after a particularly wet day out with it. I just left it out on my desk for a few days with the front lens cap off, there was no lasting problems with the lens.

I have had this happen on my old Sigma 120-400mm lens after a particularly wet day out with it. I just left it out on my desk for a few days with the front lens cap off, there was no lasting problems with the lens.
Back in my press days it was fairly common to find a camera or lens sitting on a radiator in the photographers room, or under the heater outlet in the car with the blower on full driving to the next job. Mind we didnt have all the electronics we have now. Not sure I fancy bunging a 5d4 on a radiator...

Reactions: zx9
little tip may help. It woked for my Nikon D300 with the same issue on the rear screen. took about a month to get my camera rear screen clear and never had the same problem again. of course how long it takes depends on how bad the lens is and the size obviously. BUT IT WORKED

, get some Silica gel sachets like in this link

put the lens together with the sachets in a plastic bag and get as much air out of the bag as possible and seal it up. Best to keep the lens like this when not in use

Before I tried this looking at the D300 rear screen was impossible outside it was just a white mushy view and impossible to see what the camera had taken.
gave it the above treatment a couple of years ago and as I said the issue never came back

just taken as proof today the silica gell treatment works. no sign of moisture on the rear screen, so keep the lens in the plasic bag when not using it
_DSC7525.JPG

Last edited:
OK, so I left the lens out in the sun for the afternoon, then brought it inside at 4pm. I've been out this evening but having just got back the lens is now completely clear. I will get some silica gel, as suggested, and keep that on standby if this ever happens again. The camera itself (and its kit lenses) is weather resistant, so whilst I wouldn't risk taking it out in heavy rain, the dew it encountered last night is not a problem. The Samyang lens, not so much!

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Back