Molly - 2 months old.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a fun shoot with 2 month old Molly last night.

I'm still trying to learn how to shoot babies so please give me as much constructive feedback as possible.

Molly-1.jpg

Molly-2.jpg

Molly-3.jpg

Molly-4.jpg

Molly-5.jpg

Mark, these are great images,#1 & 2 stand out for me. She has beautiful eyes, you must be so proud (y)

Steve

Nothing to knock there fella - top set :clap:

Les (y)

Hi mark, i think you have done well here given her age, how old is she? I'm not this brave, my cut off age for babies is about 10 days. I ll go through them when I'm on my laptop later and give c&c mate.

Overall a nice set - to get picky though I think 1 is cropped a bit too closely. 2 & 3 are the stand out ones for me. On 1 the b/g seems a bit overexposed compared to 2, and aside from 2, the WB seems a fraction too red?

Mark, these are great images,#1 & 2 stand out for me. She has beautiful eyes, you must be so proud (y)

Steve

I'm happy with these, probably the best baby set I've done, still a long way to go, especailly when I look at work such as this http://www.mariamurrayblog.co.uk/2.html

Nothing to knock there fella - top set :clap:

Les (y)

Thanks a lot Les.

Hi mark, i think you have done well here given her age, how old is she? I'm not this brave, my cut off age for babies is about 10 days. I ll go through them when I'm on my laptop later and give c&c mate.

She is 2 months, a bit older than I was hoping for but her parents were not free before this date.

Overall a nice set - to get picky though I think 1 is cropped a bit too closely. 2 & 3 are the stand out ones for me. On 1 the b/g seems a bit overexposed compared to 2, and aside from 2, the WB seems a fraction too red?

Thanks for the feedback. With the WB I really annoyed myself, I shot my usual test with the grey card but hadn't noticed I was in AWB (almost never use it but had been messing around and left it there), this meant I've had a nightmare trying to standardise them :(

Last edited:
#2 is great, stand out image for me.

Great set and lovely eyes on that little one... #2 is my fav!!!

These are much better than anything I have done, but 1 & 2 don't do it for me. The baby looks a bit plastic.

It may just be the processing, a bit too much negative clarity or something like that.

I do like the others though.

number 1 is brilliant, love the expression...it great...

GJUK

Smashing set, lovely sharp eyes and a beautiful bunch of memories for mum & dad.. BUT.. they are too red, maybe a slight adjustment to the saturation overall, or knock the red slider down a little.. even if the child IS that colour, i think the skin tones would be more flattering if they were not quite so hot..

The expression in No5 is priceless.. but in No3 they look scared!

Great stuff.. (y)

Thanks for the feedback. With the WB I really annoyed myself, I shot my usual test with the grey card but hadn't noticed I was in AWB (almost never use it but had been messing around and left it there), this meant I've had a nightmare trying to standardise them :(

Sorry, iv only just read this, do you use Lightroom? it would be a very easy fix! also you could run an action in Ps to sort this issue.. :)

I've got a 2 month old myself so its great to have some inspiration :)

Great shots by the way

Brilliant shots...Beautiful eyes and head control for two months...:)

I have been trying to click photos with background like these but never really achieve them..wonder if you would mind sharing how to get perfectly black or milky white back ground...have tried white sheets etc..but it doesn't work...and in the first two shots is Molly on her tummy?(only *** my 4 month old hates tummy time and buries his face..any tips).

Thanks in advance.

ShutterWork, more than happy to help. To get the pure white background you need to have more light on the white sheet/wall or whatever you are using. You want that light to generally be two stops more powerful than the light hitting the subject. For shots with a black background just make sure you have light hitting the subject but not the background. The easiest way to do that is get the subject away from the background as much as possible and get the light source close to the subject.

As for laying on the tummy I use a Lastolite baby poser which makes everything much more comfortable for the baby.

Here it is in use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpRf-6gFAL0

Thanks for sharing info Mark...really appreciate it...

The video was quite informative..so lasolite is the trade secert to keep the baby happy ;)..will research it further..thanks.

Back