Money burning a hole in my pocket, what to do?!

chris321

I like the ginger one
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I've recently got my first DSLR (an EOS 450D), so I've got the kit lens, I already had a tripod, and a remote release and filters on the way for christmas! I'm going to need a long lens though, and I'm struggling with the choice! I've got about £250 to play with, and don't know what to do with it!

I was originally thinking of going for the 55-250mm, and as I'm planning on buying second hand, it would leave me some leftover cash to buy other accessories (although I've got no idea what, any suggestions?)

But now I've been looking into the canon 70-300 IS, which is looking even better! I've seen some go up for sale on here for around £250, and I could always stretch my budget a tiny bit a bit if needs be (but I'm a student, so not all that much!).

As for what I actually shoot, a bit of everything really, wildlife, sports, possibly motorsport in the near future if I ever get around to it, so I'm after something versatile! Anyways, all suggestions welcome, thanks a lot!

Chris

I don't need to read the post

Just send me the cheque :LOL:

Seeing as it's christmas, you could always donate the money to a worthy cause like my camera fund, LOL

Seeing there were already 4 replies to this thread, I just knew they'd be offering to take the money, but I'm surprised to see one post has actually offered advice. The 70-300 sounds like a decent choice, although I don't know how much IQ difference there is between the Sigma and Canon.

Ahh, good to know I can always rely on this place for a few serious answers :razz: :D

I did think about the Sigma 70-300 APO, but the canon IS version seems to be a fair bit ahead in terms of image quality... I'm almost definitely going to be getting a nifty fifty in the new year as well. Thanks for all the replies guys, should have seen it coming :bonk:

Chris

Ahh, good to know I can always rely on this place for a few serious answers :razz: :D

I did think about the Sigma 70-300 APO, but the canon IS version seems to be a fair bit ahead in terms of image quality... I'm almost definitely going to be getting a nifty fifty in the new year as well. Thanks for all the replies guys, should have seen it coming :bonk:

Chris

I had the Siggy 70-300 APO but it was not long before I upgraded to the 70-300 IS, a much better lens I my opinion.

Only problem is getting hooked on the IS.:D

Hmm, I had been thinking about a flash, but I think I'll wait to find out if i'll actually need it. The 10-20 would be nice, but I do need a long lens for now, I'll have to make do with the kit lens for landscape stuff for the time being.

Anyone know of someone with a Canon 70-300 IS they don't want anymore?!

Chris

how about saving your money for now and getting the 70..200 F4L (£410) at some point?

how about saving your money for now and getting the 70..200 F4L (£410) at some point?

I'd love to, I really would! However, back to the real world, I'm a full-time student, and I can only really just afford the 70-300 IS (and even then I'll probably have to haggle a little!), if I spend much more I'm not going to be eating for a little while! It's a nice thought, but I need the extra length so I'd probably have to invest in a TC as well, and it's just too much! Maybe over summer, when I've worked and saved up some, but for the time being I'm going to have to find something cheaper!

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Chris

Just for info I have just bought the 70-200 F4L and its available for £380 del , good price I thought .

For £40 you could get a Tamron SP 60-300mm Adaptall-2 lens.

It's manual focus (duh!) but read around before you dismiss the idea.

Money burning a hole in your pocket? Get you pocket lined with asbestos and reduce your student debt!

Money burning a hole in your pocket? Get you pocket lined with asbestos and reduce your student debt!

Well yeah that would almost definitely be the most sensible option, but I've got the money saved up and need a long lens to make the most of my 450D! Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a think and see what I can do! Cheers guys!

Chris

Back