Monitor brightness.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
How do people know if their monitor is at the correct brightness?
I have a 27" mac and have just left it on auto brightness from new.
It only just occurred to me that people may not see the snaps I post the way I intended them to.

I don't really want to splash out calibration hardware or software but if there is a "rule of thumb" method I'm all ears.

There are online tools and the lagom.nl website is useful but now seems unreachable at the moment.

IMO there is no rule of thumb, you need to either use a calibration device or one of the available online tools as a guide/reference point.

You have no control at all, auto removing any possibility.

If you have a print that looks normal then you can use that as a reference point and manually adjust the screen to match, being aware ambient light levels will alter your perception of the screen and picture. Otherwise be careful with black and white point sliders and hope for the best.

It only just occurred to me that people may not see the snaps I post the way I intended them to.

I don't really want to splash out calibration hardware or software but if there is a "rule of thumb" method I'm all ears.
It entirely depends on how bright your environment is really. There's no point setting a monitor to 150 nits brightness in a brightly sunlit room as you won't be able to see anything. Similarly if you're editing in a dark room and set your monitor to 750 nits brightness it's going to be incredibly bright. There is no rule of thumb, and I've never calibrated a screen in my life. I have started using the histogram in LR to make sure my exposure is ok and is where I think it is.

AFAIK a calibration device does not set the brightness, it calibrates colours.

Generally I set it to "comfortable" for the ambient lighting, unless I am preparing to print, then I generally set the monitor to the minimum brightness and darken the room. If what is on the monitor does not match what is coming out of the printer I adjust but generally, for my monitor, minimum brightness works okay

I left the screen on auto in the hope it would overcome the issue with ambient light and perception.

I'll have to check the price of calibration devices.

As above I would recommend a calibration device but even then what do you set the brightness to?

80cd/m2, 100, 120? It really does depend on the brightness of your room.

I have my screen set to 100cd/m2 which means I can print an image with no brightness adjustment and it comes out pretty much as shown on the screen. If my editing environment was darker I'd go down to 80 or 90 and if it were brighter I may need to go to 110 or 120.

I wouldn't rely on Apple's auto brigtness. Apple screens are usually way to bright at their default settings for editing images.

Last edited:
In regard to actual calibrated brightness when editing for print.

I use 90cd/M2 as my target level as my prints under daylight (and bright 6000k room lighting) look as close as possible to my screen.

However, a couple of recent prints when I test printed them look a tad darker than expected (they had a very larger area of black background in them). With those I found I needed to increase the exposure in post processing by 1/4 of a stop to improve their 'compared to screen appearance '. So going forward on my next monitor calibration I will do two saved ones (my BenQ monitor can save up to 3 hardware calibrations) one @ 90 and one @ 80.....with a post it note to myself as to why ;)

Last edited:
As Ancient Mariner says that is basically what I do.
Had a print which came off my printer too dark. I run a two monitor system so I adjusted one monitor to match the levels of the print. Then adjusted the photo levels, brightness, contrast etc on there before printing most other things are doneon the second monitor. I have no idea how they look on other screens but myprints come out fine.

I think I calibrated my screen once about 5 years ago. The prints I make at home look fine. I've toned down my brightness a bit to make it match my prints.

As for showing anything online, my distorted thinking says you can calibrate your screen perfectly, but if others are viewing your images on uncalibrated screens, it might be a waste of time. In fact, if it looks good on your auto set Apple screen, it probably looks the same to everyone else using an auto calibrated Apple screen.

Calibrated screens are essential if you're doing work that necessitates it (catalogue work for clothes for example, where the shade of blue must be right) and making things like promo material, posters, adverts, catalogues etc.

I bought my calibration device to make sure my prints looked good. I wouldn't have bothered for online stuff.

Just my tuppence though!

As for showing anything online, my distorted thinking says you can calibrate your screen perfectly, but if others are viewing your images on uncalibrated screens, it might be a waste of time.
:plus1:

I think I calibrated my screen once about 5 years ago. The prints I make at home look fine. I've toned down my brightness a bit to make it match my prints.

As for showing anything online, my distorted thinking says you can calibrate your screen perfectly, but if others are viewing your images on uncalibrated screens, it might be a waste of time. In fact, if it looks good on your auto set Apple screen, it probably looks the same to everyone else using an auto calibrated Apple screen.

Calibrated screens are essential if you're doing work that necessitates it (catalogue work for clothes for example, where the shade of blue must be right) and making things like promo material, posters, adverts, catalogues etc.

I bought my calibration device to make sure my prints looked good. I wouldn't have bothered for online stuff.

Just my tuppence though!
This is my thinking, I've never printed anything myself and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of digital photos I've ever had printed. I know screen calibration would mean what I was seeing would be correct, but 99.9% of people viewing the images would be on an uncalibrated device (almost certainly a phone or tablet these days) so what's the point?

As for showing anything online, my distorted thinking says you can calibrate your screen perfectly, but if others are viewing your images on uncalibrated screens, it might be a waste of time.
IMO it is impossible to mitigate for the huge variation of potential viewing environments of others viewing online!

AFAIK a calibration device does not set the brightness, it calibrates colours.

Generally I set it to "comfortable" for the ambient lighting, unless I am preparing to print, then I generally set the monitor to the minimum brightness and darken the room. If what is on the monitor does not match what is coming out of the printer I adjust but generally, for my monitor, minimum brightness works okay
My Calibrator advises you what to set the brightness to by showing you an image.

You have to manually adjust the brightness on the monitor.

This obviously depends on if you're viewing the screen in daylight or under artificial lighting.

This is my thinking, I've ntrol ever printed anything myself and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of digital photos I've ever had printed. I know screen calibration would mean what I was seeing would be correct, but 99.9% of people viewing the images would be on an uncalibrated device (almost certainly a phone or tablet these days) so what's the point?
IMO it is impossible to mitigate for the huge variation of potential viewing environments of others viewing online!
After having a photobook printed years ago, that came back too dark, thankfully just a couple of them, I got a calibration device. I could have gone back to the printer and said the images were too dark, but they would have just asked if the monitor was calibrated, and the answer would have been no. I couldn't very well blame them for a mistake if I were not giving them accurate files. :rolleyes:

That was because, by default the monitor was too bright, and I compensated by darkening the images to make them look 'correct' to me. Most calibrators will probably say lower the brightness of the monitor, at least the two I have had did/does. The also has the benefit of not blasting your eyes with too bright a light, which can quickly become tiring. I calibrated, re-edited, re-uploaded, and all perfect printed. :)

My way of thinking is, if I get things accurate for brightness and colours, that is all I can do. Yes, I have no control on the myriad of devices out there that may see the images, but they are all mostly aiming for accuracy, and then maybe a bit oversaturated and bright for tablets and phones especially. I get things how I want them to be.

There are some devices that can monitor the ambient light in real time and compensate. I think my one can do that, but I don't need to. I most always edit after dark, with the curtains closed, in the same position, and so in a pretty consistent environment. I calibrated at least once a month, because monitors degrade over time, which you may not notice. I also calibrate my cameras for accuracy of colours, and consistancy between cameras.

The OP may want to consider a calibrator, as once the thought is in the mind, is what I am seeing 'right', either for brightness, colours, or both, the easiest way to banish the thought is a calbration device. But people can do as much or as little as they want to. :)

In regard to how the calibration software 'works'

I never recall it suggesting a brightness level.....in xRite software you set a target brightness figure thus during the calibration it asked for the brightness to be adjusted....this was on my old Dell monitor

Since getting my BenQ SW270C, the BenQ Pallette Master Element software, which is based on the xRite software, the software "talks to/controls the monitor settings" i.e. you the user set your target brightness and the software adjusts the monitor brightness as part of the calibration process.

NB BenQ now have their 'from the ground up' Pallete Master Ultimate software and though not installed & tried yet AFAIK is the same.

Last edited:
it seems pointless to calibrate your screen unless you’re printing?
About the screen brightness, i use my phone as a reference. Its an iPhone SE 2020, i know it sounds strange but if pictures look dark on my iPhone then my screen is dark. Even when i bring the phone’s screen brightness down i can still tell if a picture is dark.
I remember your latest pictures on the “Show us yer film shots then!” thread been a bit underexposed, which must be because your screen brightness **correction** is high?

Last edited:
I look at the exposure and if I think that's ok then screen brightness isn't really a factor unless it affects our viewing enjoyment on that screen.

When printing I'd always advise doing and assessing a small thumbnail print first just incase something has gone wrong in the pipeline and if you can do this you might save yourself from wasting a sheet and possibly more importantly and costly the ink on it.

Over time we should get a sense for how far apart screen viewing and prints are and be able to adapt accordingly.

Dark prints are a thing but I don't think monitor brightness is a big issue or at least it isn't for me but I did go through troubles when I changed both my pc and printer at the same time and it did take me quite a while to sort things out. Thankfully these days and fingers crossed any print I do should well come out to my satisfaction :D

it seems pointless to calibrate your screen unless you’re printing?
About the screen brightness, i use my phone as a reference. Its an iPhone SE 2020, i know it sounds strange but if pictures look dark on my iPhone then my screen is dark. Even when i bring the phone’s screen brightness down i can still tell if a picture is dark.
I remember your latest pictures on the “Show us yer film shots then!” thread been a bit underexposed, which must be because your screen brightness been a bit low?
No no and no. Totally no.

unless you don't care about editing in a monitor colour cast and brightness offset into your for web-only images.

I remember your latest pictures on the “Show us yer film shots then!” thread been a bit underexposed, which must be because your screen brightness been a bit low?

That is back tp front - If the monitor is too dim then you will over-brighten the picture, and if it's too bright then you will over-darken the picture.

As noted, most monitors are too bright by default. Often, a correctly calibrated monitor will appear slight dim for watching movies or gaming. The point of calibration is not that your image will appear the same on everyone's screen, but that if someone has calibrated equipment they may see your picture as you intended it to look. Also if you print (and printing is good) then you will also get images back that look right.

Personally, I found that having a calibrated screen really helped my editing, removing the uncertainty in appearance of the image.

If you are not printing then I'd leave it, you can't control other people screen brightness so one less thing to worry about!

That is back tp front - If the monitor is too dim then you will over-brighten the picture, and if it's too bright then you will over-darken the picture.
Apologies, corrected my post! That :agree:

Back