Monitor Calibration Tool?

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful tool for monitor calibration that will work with Windows 11? I started looking around for a used item, but soon discovered that things like Spyder Pro 3 etc actually won't work with Windows 11......

I found https://displaycal.net its open source display calibration tool, not as simple as Spyder software but does work works with Mac Big Sur and also has Windows 11 support (but not used it with a Windows machine.

Might be worth a look :)

I found https://displaycal.net its open source display calibration tool, not as simple as Spyder software but does work works with Mac Big Sur and also has Windows 11 support (but not used it with a Windows machine.

Might be worth a look :)
I was about to suggest the same (I've likewise only used it on Win 10) - I found Displaycal gives superior results to the Spyder 3 software (paricularly in matching a dual monitor setup)

Thanks, I'll have a look at the displaycal tonight...... fingers crossed (as ain't got much cash!) :oops: :$

Thanks, I'll have a look at the displaycal tonight...... fingers crossed (as ain't got much cash!) :oops: :$

Being Open Source I think it is free but you can "contribute" if you want...

Display Cal is just a software though isn't it?

You still need an actual calibration device unless I'm getting confused with something else.

Display Cal is just a software though isn't it?

You still need an actual calibration device unless I'm getting confused with something else.
Yes, it is just the software side - but it will work with the older calibration devices, so rather than having to buy a brand new calibrator to get the 'official' software with Win 11 support, the OP can either re-use an older device he already has, or get a (cheap) second hand one.

Yes, it is just the software side - but it will work with the older calibration devices, so rather than having to buy a brand new calibrator to get the 'official' software with Win 11 support, the OP can either re-use an older device he already has, or get a (cheap) second hand one.

I thought it was yes. I did download it on recommendation but the software with mine worked fine on my PC. I think it's I-Rite or I-Studio ....?

I had a look at it, and it looks mighty fine - think I'll be picking up an older Spyder or something along those lines...... good shout from Nick! (y)

I use a Spyder 3 pro with Display Cal on W10 which could no longer support the Spyder software.

Dave

Another DisplayCal and x-rite eyeone display 2 user I'm on a Mac, I find it work as well if not better than the x-rite software that won't run on my computer

One problem with calibrating a monitor is the ambient room light. You can calibrate when it is daylight outside but switch on a room light and you have to calibrate again. Too much hassle for the minute difference f any it makes. I just rely on the monitors own built in calibration if I need to

Last edited:
If this breathes life back in to my X-rite i1 on Win10, I'll be extremely chuffed!

One problem with calibrating a monitor is the ambient room light. You can calibrate when it is daylight outside but switch on a room light and you have to calibrate again. Too much hassle for the minute difference f any it makes. I just rely on the monitors own built in calibration if I need to
Surely you only do editing in low light anyway so one calibration setting is fine.

Dave

@DekHog

I have a Spyder 3 Elite that as mentioned by others I ceased using because I upgraded from W7 to W10.

Packrat that I can be it is in its original box. Never thought of putting it in the classifieds. So, to stick as I understand it to TP rules I would put it in if you are interested?

Edit ~ to make sure that I don't inadvertently bend/break the rules I will report my own post for mods guidance :)

Last edited:
Edit ~ to make sure that I don't inadvertently bend/break the rules I will report my own post for mods guidance :)
Yep start a sales thread if there is any interest.

Calibration potentially makes a big difference and is an important topic to produce colour-correct work. If you're going to the trouble of calibration then it's true you also need to take care of the ambient light.

One word of warning for Win10.

DisplayCal may not detect your old device on plug-in/out of the box. You will need to download and install the Argyll drivers to make it work (explanation on the 'quick start' dialogue).

Well, success.... I got a Spyder 3 Elite from an eBay auction for £1.20! Plugged it in, opened DisplayCal, went to Tools > Instrument > Install ArgyllCMS Instrument Drivers, and that was basically it.

Once the drivers downloaded and installed, it detected the Spyder 3 (device manager had an exclamation mark against it, even though it showed as a Spyder 3) and it was just a matter of clicking through the prompts...... can't fall out with a total of £5 inc. postage! :D

Thanks to all for the assistance...... (y)

Back