Monitor Calibration - what do people use ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Just purchased a 27" monitor and feel it would be a good time to get some proper monitor calibration software.

What do people tend to use these days ?

I always remember colormunki was popular but there may well be better options now.

Ideally want something with brightness control as well

tia,
Mike.

I use a spider colorimeter with display cal software

Spyder5.
There is/was software that's a bit better IMO... I used to use ColorEyes Display Pro. But it's defunct now and most of the more advanced software is equally likely to give worse results if you don't know what you are doing. The default/basic calibration from the Spyder software seems to be more than adequate.

i1 display pro. I seem to get better results for both monitors compared to the Spyder 5 pro I had.

Colormunki photo with i1 Studio software to calibrate Macbook screen and prints, and Spectraview software to calibrate my NEC monitor

I do not print out my own images so a ColorMunki display is more than adequate for me.
If you print your own, you need to take things to a whole different level.

Spyder 5 with Display Cal software

I do not print out my own images so a ColorMunki display is more than adequate for me.
If you print your own, you need to take things to a whole different level.

Just need to deliver decent 'balanced' images for clients mostly for social media and website. Rarely get printed.

I use a Spyder4Express. It's simple enough and does the job.

I got it for £40.00 on the Evil Bay.

Just need to deliver decent 'balanced' images for clients mostly for social media and website. Rarely get printed.

So it will do exactly what you want.
However many viewere do not have calibrated screens themselves. So no knowing what they see.
But if it leaves you as it should be, that is not your problem.

used a spyder on my last monitor but now I use a Benq ips monitor so set it to photo no need to calibrate it as already done it also has sRGB

Last edited:
It depends on the monitor, the best hardware/software calibrator in the world cannot correct a monitor that is not capable in the first place.

used a spyder on my last monitor but now I use a Benq ips monitor so set it to photo no need to calibrate it as already done it also has sRGB

Even the best monitors need recalibrating from time to time

I use a Spyder 4 but the software was not playing nicely with Windows 10, so after lots of messing about, I switched to the (free) DisplayCAL software (same hardware) which while not quite as easy to pick up, seems to do a good job.

Yes it working fine just printed a few prints of last night.

BUT ? I don't use a printer calibration I use my monitor to edit photos in photoshop then print them using the correct paper profile So no need to calibrate my IPS monito SO no LUCK in it

Preset monitor settings may provide reasonable results, but for the best output all monitors need to be calibrated, even high end models. All of the top end monitor manufacturers provide calibration software specifically to be used with their ‘hardware calibrated’ monitors. For example, I use NEC’s Spectraview II with my Colormunkito to hardware calibrate my NEC PA monitor. Eizo make ColorNavigator and BenQ offer Palette Master software for use with a hardware device to calibrate their top monitors.

Hardware calibration just means the adjustments are done in the monitor hardware which I understand creates more consistent results. For monitors that don’t offer hardware calibration, the icc profile makesthe adjustments are made to the graphics card output instead I believe.

Back