Monitor Calibration

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice as to which monitor calibrator i should buy.

I've been looking at the (Spyder 3 Elite) and the (X-Rite Eye-One).

Has anybody got any experience with any of these and how well do they work.

Thanks.

I purchased the spyder 3 pro from amazon for around £85 or £89.

Worked well on my monitor screen as I was having all sorts of issues.

I've heard people say the Eye-one is a little better but I've no experience with the brand!

If you become a regular you wont need to buy one, as there are two doing the rounds here on TP going around the country on a borrow scheme, just put your name forward after you have reached the criteria to use it, or upgrade to win7 on the 22nd of this month as it has a calibration tool built in(y)

I have the eye one and it is brilliant. If you are serious about your photography it is a good investment. You should do it once a month to keep your screen properly calibrated.

Not too sure about Windows 7 but I doubt it will be anything like the quality you need. I would imagine it will be the same as all the other built in ones, about as good as useless in the real world.

I have the i-One and it works fine, but I suspect the Spyder 3 will be perfectly satisfactory.
Either should do the trick for you.

If you are planning to go to W7 or Mac Snow Leopard male sure drivers will be available for which ever platform you are going to be using

I have the i-One too, I purchased it for the day job, I have been very satisfied with it.

Kelvin

I have the spyder express which does an adequate job.
The dearer calibrators do a better job and give you more functionality.
Its down to what you can afford.
The first thing you will notice is that monitors are cold by default, eg very blue. the calibrator will warm up your screen and at first will most likely look very pink.
Often a 10 second look away then back again and it looks great. A lot is down to what you get used to seeing rather than what is actually correct.
Some of the dearer calibrators calibrate not only your monitor but your printer/scanner to.
this is often overlooked and is just as important.
at the end of the day, its like a work flow, you set your camera to take pictures in the right format eg, SRGB or ADOBE RGB then you need to calibrate your monitor so that you see the same as your camera see's.
Then you need to calibrate your printer so that what you see on the monitor is what you get on print.
Im no expert but it can become quite a headache if you get this wrong.
Once setup correctly though, it'll save you a fortune on printing off five prints each time to get one correct one.

Be careful if you have more than one monitor on your computer. When I was looking for a calibrator I was told that the software that comes with some of the cheaper models does not do multi monitor setups. I ended up with the Huey Pro which seems to do an OK job but I am still unsure about the way it uses suction cups to stick the calibrator to the screens.

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice as to which monitor calibrator i should buy.

I've been looking at the (Spyder 3 Elite) and the (X-Rite Eye-One).

Has anybody got any experience with any of these and how well do they work.

Thanks.

Have used both now use the Spyder 3 elite, both work well

I use the Spyder Pro, it feels more like a consumer product compared to the eyeOne, I wish I'd spent the extra £50 for the eyeOne.

I use the Spyder 3 Elite and find it gives me (as far as I can see) great and pretty much spot on results on multiple monitors.

I'm using windows 7, but I wouldn't bother using that to calibrate if you want acurate colours. Great OS though; very light, very fast and very user friendly.

I've been using a pantone huey for a few years now and it does a decent job although I've heard the spyder is supposed to be better

I use the Colorvision Printfix Pro.

Monitor and printer calibration....Works wonders with 3rd party inks even Mono turn out tint free.

I have been using the Huey pro for quite a while and found it very good. Someone asked this question a few months ago and found one on ebay canada for £30, cant remember who it was now.

Back