Monitor for Landscapes

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Can I ask viewers of this section what type of monitor they use when doing PP on their landscape work?

I asked for help on buying a new monitor in another section but have had only one reply, I probably used the wrong section. I'm looking to buy a new monitor but only have a small budget of around £300. The monitor I use now is a Dell old 4x3 aspect 19" model.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

I'm no expert but I suspect any modern monitor from a reputable manufacturer is okay so long as it's the IPS version (these have the wide viewing angle you need for image processing). Mine's an LG and not very big as I'm space limited and also I don't like the huge range of cursor movement that goes with the bigger monitors, which is something to consider when you change to the wider aspect ratio. Prices are size dependant.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated. I take the point about the huge range of cursor movement, I guess it's the same with viewing all the screen.

The Dell I have now is TFT and the slightest change in viewing angle makes a massive difference to the colours, so I think IPS is the way to go.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated. I take the point about the huge range of cursor movement, I guess it's the same with viewing all the screen.

The Dell I have now is TFT and the slightest change in viewing angle makes a massive difference to the colours, so I think IPS is the way to go.
I don't think you need to make a distinction between editing for landscape or editing any other style - If it's good then it's good.
My preference is for a 1200pxl vertical resolution rather than 1080pxl.
I currently use the Dell U2412M which is now obsolete, but means you can get some good deals on it while it's still around.
The U2412M seems to be quite popular for editing, a number of people on these forums seem to have them.
The new generation of "4K" or "5K" monitors look rather nice, but at present are outside my budget, besides which I only tend to replace stuff that's old, and I haven't had the U2412M very long.
I used an LG TFT without problems for quite a while before I switched to my current Dell Ultrasharp.
With a TFT you just need to ensure that you are looking at the screen square-on, but I never edit viewing from off-center anyway, even with the Dell IPS.

Far more important is to have the screen accurately calibrated whatever monitor you are using.

Back