Monitor issues

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Can i ask everyone who see this thread to say which version of the image looks better or more natural?

Im noticing major differences viewing my pics on my home monitor and my work one. At home they seem fine on the screen but when viewed on my work computer they appear washed out and look a little drab.

I have adjusted both pics to look the same on each monitor if that makes sense? Just want to see which monitor looks better to everyone else :shrug: then ill be able to try and fix the setting on my home of it it appears wrong

1. Adjusted on Home monitor

WhiteRocks1sml.jpg

2. Adjusted on Other Monitor

WhiteRocks1v2sml.jpg

Cheers Neil

1 looks slightly more natural to me, but without knowing what sort of colours your after, i have no idea which one is right
dodgy bit of cloning on the left hand side though

try printing one to see how it comes out, then adjust the colour, brightness, contrast temperature etc to suit print

As a starting point look at this image on both monitors, ideally in Photoshop or another colour managed app.

sRGB_chart.jpg

The grey squares up top you should be able to see a difference between the first two of the darker ones (brightness) and the last two of the lighter ones (contrast).

Then, when squinting slightly the inner squares in the lower section should have the same brightness as the outer section (gamma).

Brightness/Contrast is adjusted on the monitor controls, gamma is adjusted in the advanced settings for your gfx card properties.

This will get you close in terms of brightness/etc. but without a hardware calibrator you don't have much hope of getting the colours to match.

wow, im impressed, uncalibrated work monitor and the only thing slightly out is the gamma, i can live with that(especially since i dont think the old cheap graphics card doesnt allow any adjustment)

Well the first two are pretty hard to get wrong, ideally you should "just" see a difference between the squares. Gamma is trickier as you often need to adjust the curve at several point rather than a single value the gfx card s/w offers.

When it comes to sorting colours it's hardware or not at all.

Back