Monitor suggestions?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I use a laptop for image processing/editing and it's not ideal, viewing angle, can't change colour temp, etc. I've calibrated it roughly using QuickGamma but I want a standalone monitor that will be at a fixed viewing angle, and can be easilly calibrated.

Not too bothered about size, anywhere between say 19" & 24" just don't want to spend the earth. Up to £200 I guess.

Any recommendations? It will predominantly be used for imaging, maybe a bit of browsing, but I have my laptop for general use and a 360 for gaming ;)

I'd try to avoid monitors with a TN panel, ideally you want an IPS panel, but they might be hard to find in that price range.

You won't get a IPS/PVA panel for £200 but at the moment it's probably a good thing as all the high end panels have jumped on the wide gamut bandwagon which is great for games/movies but a nightmare for calibration.

Plenty of decent TN panels around though. I'm thinking about getting a couple of Dell S2209W which are 1920x1080 22" panels for £140.

sounds good, i got a 24" samsung just after xmas, but i think the 22" is in budget, happy with mine so far, but not done any colour settings yet. colour range looks good though

I got a Samsung SM2443BW for £227 a few weeks ago and think it is excellent, ok its a TN panel, but even TN panels have improved a lot and I don't have the budget for a higher version

I personally think the monitor is one of the most important components of a computer system. After all, you look at it constantly when you're using your computer. It's seriously worth chucking a bit more money at a decent screen if you can.

I personally think the monitor is one of the most important components of a computer system. After all, you look at it constantly when you're using your computer. It's seriously worth chucking a bit more money at a decent screen if you can.

Problem is, at the moment, all of the "decent" screens are wide gamut. The Samsung 245T is about the cheapest top end monitor using a standard gamut but it's still £700+ :(

I can live with TN as I don't run around the room whilst editing so the lower viewing angle isn't an issue ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'll be happy enough with a TN panel, especially coming from a laptop.

With the panel fixed to the desk or wall and my chair at a set height I don't see too much of a problem with a narrower viewing angle.

I will check out the Dell and Samsung mentioned :)

Back