Monitor Upgrade with Macbook Air

Name
Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently edit all my photographs using Lightroom on a Macbook air. Whilst this isn't an ideal setup I have found it very efficient and serves purpose, particularly on the go. I have, however been looking to purchase a iMac for editing but slightly put off by the cost so am considering using a monitor linked up to my Macbook Air. Is there anyone that uses a similar set up? If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages. Are there any particular models that you would recommend? I don't really want to spent more than £300.

Thank you in advance, Tom.

Interested in this thread.

I like to sit in the lounge on my MacBook Pro being semi-sociable sorting and editing the days pictures but would also like to have a decent but budget screen to see them on when I have done a good first or second cull.

l

I like to sit in the lounge on my MacBook Pro being semi-sociable sorting and editing the days pictures but would also like to have a decent but budget screen to see them on when I have done a good first or second cull.

Me too, Tony..I'm hoping a designated workspace and larger monitor will help me give editing more attention.

I use a MBP and have been considering a larger monitor for editing purposes when sat in my office space. Amateur Photographer magazine recently did a review (8th April edition) of a ViewSonic VP2468 24" LCD monitor which it stated costs £227. They gave it a 4 star recommendation with the plusses being a slim unit, excellent colours and price for a professional quality monitor with the minuses being no Adobe RGB colour space, awkwardly placed headphone port, on screen menus cumbersome and not 4K. It might be worth looking at for your needs.

I can live without Adobe RGB and intend buying one next month.

I use a MBP and have been considering a larger monitor for editing purposes when sat in my office space. Amateur Photographer magazine recently did a review (8th April edition) of a ViewSonic VP2468 24" LCD monitor which it stated costs £227. They gave it a 4 star recommendation with the plusses being a slim unit, excellent colours and price for a professional quality monitor with the minuses being no Adobe RGB colour space, awkwardly placed headphone port, on screen menus cumbersome and not 4K. It might be worth looking at for your needs.

I can live without Adobe RGB and intend buying one next month.

Looks great, cheers Trev.

For that price range, the Dell Ultrasharps are really difficult to beat. Factor in a colour profiler such as a Colour Munki or X-rite (they're all pretty similar) and you'll be well within budget. You don't necessarily need the latest Dell either, I'd suggest a model from 2=3 years ago will save you money and provide virtually the same real world performance.

Next one up if you get giddy with your budget would be something like the BenQ SW2700PT, which is a great monitor but around the £600 mark.

Personally, I wouldn't look past the Dell range

Mike

Which is exactly why I've gone MPB recently too.

I use an older U2713H to plug into for anything serious or long editing but there's much newer models out there. It's a great way of working though. As above, do factor in a decent calibration tool, the x-rite i1 Display Pro is superb but usually around £170.

Last edited:
Back