Monitor...

Not sure how you'd get 139% SRGB.

More than 100% is just a ridiculous claim.

sRGB is a limited colour gamut, and that monitor can show a greater range of colour than in the sRGB range.

Last edited:
IMO 4K is too much on a 27" (even on 32" - I've had one) screen.
Could not be further from the truth.

However windows cant properly handle 27 4k and 32 requires manual font adjustment. Never ever use scaling.

I bought a dell 27” earlier this year .more than adequate for what we do , avoid any with speakers as there pretty useless .. buy them separately .
Also I never realised at the time a27” is smaller than a 27” I.mac if I had known would have gone to 32” minimumj

Could not be further from the truth.

However windows cant properly handle 27 4k and 32 requires manual font adjustment. Never ever use scaling.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I found, just like editing on a high Res laptop, the pixel pitch was too fine for a 100% scaling to give me a good idea of sharpness, but at 200-400% the image stopped looking natural.

My present editing monitor is 27" and 1440p, and that's perfect for me.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I found, just like editing on a high Res laptop, the pixel pitch was too fine for a 100% scaling to give me a good idea of sharpness, but at 200-400% the image stopped looking natural.

My present editing monitor is 27" and 1440p, and that's perfect for me.
27 1440 is too grainy, too "digital".

32 4k is livable at 100%, but you need to bump up font size from ridiculous 9 to 11 or 12. 200% is certainly too big, as in you have to move it back over a meter away. You may as well run 42 4k then.

Ideally we want 32 6k or 27 5k then you can just run it as retina at 200% and not worry about it, but sadly there aren't many options available so 32 4k is unfortunately the best budget compromise

So...it's decent, pants, not worth it?

Trying to find a relatively low cost monitor with the correct colours (sRGB, Adobe, DCI-P3 and such) is hurting my head....
Welcome to the crappy market of editing monitors...

Anything you buy will be either a nasty yet expensive compromise or will leave your pockets absolutely empty and will still be a compromise

In a nutshell:
sRGB - one for current web delivery, YouTube where your clients will never properly print anything
Adobe RGB - if you print + all of above
P3 - higher end cinema / video work
Ideally Adobe + P3

avoid any with speakers as there pretty useless .. buy them separately .
I don't think they need avoiding for that. It won't make the panel any worse. Just don't expect much use from these $1 speakers

Not sure how you'd get 139% SRGB.

More than 100% is just a ridiculous claim.
Guess it just means a 39% wider gamut than sRGB but the question is wider in what way. Just saying 139% of sRGB really isn’t helpful at all.

To the OP. If you’re only editing your images to view them on the internet it’s probably okay. Ideally for serious editing and printing you want 100% Adobe RGB but you’ll need to up your budget.

I like BenQ monitors personally.

Last edited:
"Okay, think I'm going to start off plugging the laptop into a monitor for my editing."

Provided your computer outputs 4k, then the monitor you linked to is just fine.

I sit 32inches from my 27 inch 4k monitor to edit.
I have a ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q1A 4K Gaming Monitor 28 inch UHD 4K (3840x2160), IPS, DCI-P3 , Adaptive-Sync, FreeSync, HDR 10 : Amazon number B08SBMHKNQ.
All monitors are good so just go for it (oh, speaker audio sound will be quiet and a bit naff in most so don't worry about that - I plug in headphones or HiFi).
I use cable Amazon number B09CT1YSJJ with no issues.

Happy new year !

This is my laptop (if that helps).

I am clueless about tech so any support / guidance is much appreciated.

I'm not worried about sound, we have an abundance of Bluetooth speakers and Sonos. I have a gaming monitor linked to a Logitech surround sound with sub, but that's in my bedroom and this monitor would be for the home office (4th bedroom).

Last edited:
Hi @Adamcski - I see from the internet your computer does indeed have a HDMi output socket so all good to go !

Go for it and enjoy !!! (I did, and I am !).

This is my laptop (if that helps).

I am clueless about tech so any support / guidance is much appreciated.

I'm not worried about sound, we have an abundance of Bluetooth speakers and Sonos. I have a gaming monitor linked to a Logitech surround sound with sub, but that's in my bedroom and this monitor would be for the home office (4th bedroom).
Just prepare for the fact that most screens will look much worse than that oled panel. There is not much you can do other than spend £4k on a certain Asus with rather questionable warranty

where are you based ??? I have a Dell 27" premier monitor for sale, would suit you down to the ground, try before you buy so to speak.

Is this why people prefer apple as their monitors are all very similar with their retina display?
Apple displays are usually on the better side. Not always perfect and very expensive, but generally yes. Your laptop OLED is probably a little better overall than anything in any macbook and that is more of an exception here. On the desktop side Apple Pro Display XDR will be hard to better but then there is the price tag and frankly few of us can seriously consider such an outlay. Studio display is a major step down but still a little ahead over the median of the competition. 27k 5K gives you a very nice retina rendering, and apple OS supports it much better than windows. However even if you wanted one, you need a mac first so forget about them.

Effectively you have two choices.
A) spend as much as you can and get the absolute best, or
B) get the absolute minimum to get the job done and roll the dice that in 2-3 years time the market will look significantly different, then upgrade as in option A.

I am pretty much going along option B route at the moment. My 32 4k ACER has big QC issues you would find annoying to tolerate, but nothing that affects the working area in most apps. My calibration also shifted a lot over 4 years so who knows how long until it is beyond a making a reasonable profile. I will risk another year or so with this POS, then hope we have better OLED offerings and certainly nothing from ACER or anyone with similar warranty terms.

And yes, 3-year, ideally 5-year no-nonsense replacement warranty is essential. Display, motherboard, nvme and RAM are things that are best bought new.

Back