Mono and mist

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning-mist.jpg

Morning-mist-bw.jpg

Following the comments on CT's morning mist - I converted this one from my garden before Christmas. Into channels but still not happy. You lot out there must have favourite ways of doing it or a list of links to give the old chap some reading matter.
Patch of veryearly morning sunlight brough up the mist in the valley between us and Ely. Ten minutes later complete cloud cover.

Well you're looking down on the mist there rather than through it, it can still look great but you don't get the eerie effect you get when you're down on the same level. You seem to have lost the mist in your B&W conversion, probably down to adding too much contrast, which has the effect of over clarifying the misty bits?

Here's a link to a tutorial on B&W, it does assume you are using Adobe Photoshop. This is the method i use, but i rarely go for full b&w, i tend to use it to desaturate quite a lot. It allows you to dodge and burn the image too, which can be very handy and works remarkably well imo.
Use it as a guide though, and experiment with what works best for you. Hope this helps. Hope i'm allowed to post links. Accept my apologies in advance if i'm not.
http://studio.adobe.com/us/tips/tip.jsp?p=1&xml=phscs2mrblkwht&id=101668

Thats a pretty nifty tutorial you linked to Lolyton. :thumb:

I'd second CT's comments regarding the mist...you can lose quite a lot of the effect when adding contrast.

I would add a layer mask and paint on it with black to reduce or remove the effect of the contrast in the mist areas.

Many thanks to DJW and the rest of you - have a folder for links so will have plenty of late night viewing and experimentation.

Bachs said:
I'd second CT's comments regarding the mist...you can lose quite a lot of the effect when adding contrast.

But sometimes it can increase the gloomyness as it allows you to see through the mist. If I can provide an example:

Trees%20loom.jpg

The increased contrast brought out the second layer of trees that was completely hidden in the original.

Just one of those rules to be broken I guess. :)

Back