Mono Bird images- do they work

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
The actual tones of the bird look good to me.

Not very keen on the pure white background, as any context is lost, and that is usually quite important for wildlife.

And, for me, other factors such as strong shapes or composition don't compensate in this case.

I think they can work but context is needed as what @Elines said.

In this instance it doesn't work, think you need specific birds and specific lighting conditions to achieve it.

This is a bird I like, cheeky little chaps I think.
I prefer the colour version Les and agree that the plain white BG does nothing here.
And no I don`t think the mono shot has worked here.

The actual tones of the bird look good to me.

Not very keen on the pure white background, as any context is lost, and that is usually quite important for wildlife.

And, for me, other factors such as strong shapes or composition don't compensate in this case.

I think they can work but context is needed as what @Elines said.

In this instance it doesn't work, think you need specific birds and specific lighting conditions to achieve it.

This is a bird I like, cheeky little chaps I think.
I prefer the colour version Les and agree that the plain white BG does nothing here.
And no I don`t think the mono shot has worked here.

Thanks all- I just though it looked like a line sketch as opposed to a photograph, I appreciate your comments though

Plain BG was originally a pale blue sky

heres the colour version as shot as you'll see the sky had little or no colour to it - hence my conversion

DSC01518 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les ;)

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I think it works well, even the plain white background. I love the tones and detail in the bird and the background sets it apart. I agree that context is important but sometimes, even bird shots, can be a little more abstract.

I agree with Steve, especially as the starling's strong markings lend itself to a conversion ... some can be more 'striking' like this and some more subtle e.g high key :)

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I think it works well, even the plain white background. I love the tones and detail in the bird and the background sets it apart. I agree that context is important but sometimes, even bird shots, can be a little more abstract.

I agree with Steve, especially as the starling's strong markings lend itself to a conversion ... some can be more 'striking' like this and some more subtle e.g high key :)

Cheers fellow minded Toggers- I like it too

Les

Prefer the colour version - which is unusual for me

I like both but lean towards the black and white. It would make a brilliant novel cover is the fist thing I thought

Depending on the original image, mono can be made to work but it seems such a shame not to see nature's colours on bird plumage, or indeed to miss out on the colour of any animal.

A mono version would perhaps be more satisfying if it was treated similarly to an illustration, whereby the original photograph is merely a starting point to be as creative as you fancy. Afterall, photographic images don't have to be cold scientific records.

As far as your mono version is concerned I do like it but would make the background colour slightly more ivory rather than a cold white.

Last edited:
The black and white version definitely works for me.

I suspect it possibly wouldn't work to a 'wildlife and bird photography' audience, because there seems to be a strong expectation of format and context within that genre and deviating from that may be viewed negatively. But viewing it as a non-genre photograph/image I think it's stunning. The tones and definition are excellent, the composition is well balanced. There's a slightly oriental aesthetic to it - which might be emphasised by a slightly taller aspect ratio if there's a little more of the branch available at the bottom?

If I'd taken it, I definitely be having this one printed for the wall. Probably on a heavy art paper with a non-glossy finish.

Back