Mono tree

Edit My Images
Yes
I was gonna enter this in the assignment but choose another instead.

c & c please
4.jpg

Hey Peter, looks like a good photo. But then you didn't come here for the good points did you ;)

Two things come across initially. Firstly I think the crop is too tight, I'm look at the base of the tree expecting to see more and the same applies to the branches that extend outside the frame. It's ok to crop things tight when they are part of the frame but I don't think it works when they are center of attention.

Secondly I'm not sure that you've got enough punch to it. I have to say that it very difficult for me to tell with my work monitor which is not the best and tends to show things on the dark side. But it looks quite light to me even at work which makes me think that it would probably be too washed out on a proper monitor.

Hmm, what I mean is that the levels probably could do with an adjust to even out the tones.

:)

I agree - I think it's too tight a crop on the tree. There's nothing technically wrong with it apart from that burned out highlight at top left, in fact I'd say you've exposed beautifully for the subtle range of mid tones in the shot, but therein lies the real problem, the shot is composed largely of mid tones with not enough light and dark areas to give it any contrast. I don't think that adjusting the levels is likely to significantly improve it as the light and dark tones just aren't there.

Good effort Pete, but I think it's just one of those scenes that probably looked great at the time but which just doesn't translate well into a photo - particularly in monochrome. :)

It needs a focal point. I'm scanning the whole picture trying to find something to look at, i know it's a pic of a tree, butlike the others have said the fact that it's such a tight crop means that i can't quite take it in. Would work well in an abstract series.

It's probably worth giving the levels a go, you never know what you might find!

thanks for the c & c, I`ll try a different crop nad playing with the levels this weekend

Back