Monopod advice

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a monopod to support my 120-300 F2.8 lens.
Most monopods max height is around 160-170cm and being 187cm tall I was wondering if my neck would start hurting?

Anyone have any experience?

I've made a 30cm extension that screws onto the monopod and then use the leg adjustment to get the height correct for whatever position I need....very useful for elevated shots.

Bob

I use the velbron rup 4... its very sturdy to take the wieght of the 120-300 and a 1d.. tried others and just to flimsey... its 169cm but dont forget to add the height from the bottom of the lens collar up to the camera eyepiece..

depending on what head you use, this adds to the height as well. I quite often put the monopod on top of my boot if I need a bit of extra height.

It would be easy enough to make an extension out of aluminium bar - just need a machine shop to tap out the correct thread at either end.

Thanks folks :)

I tried one out today and found that my eye level is at 177cm. The tripod collar adds 13cm to the height so I only need a pod that goes up to 164cm :)

yay \o/

I realise that you've already seen them in the flesh as it were, but just in case it helps, and if anyone else was reading, then ...

I have the Manfrotto 681B, and with the Manfrotto 234RC quick release head and the distance from base of 40D to eyepiece, I'd say that - fully extended - the monopod is 10-20cm too high, and I'm 6'2".

Back