Monopod and ball head

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a monopod and ball head combo that won't break the bank, but still performs well?

I NEVER use tripods/monos so this is a new realm for me, but I'm looking to purchase my first fast zoom for my kids sports and whatnot, and really want the added support and stability of a mono.

Thanks in advance. :)

It would be well worth your while to see if you can borrow one for bit and see if you get on with it before splashing some cash.

Monopods are alot like excercise bikes in that only about 1 in 50 sold get used after the first week or two. They always seem like a good idea but most folk just don't get on with them at all.

Try the manfrotto 676B for a budget pod, with the 234RC ball head and quick release plate.

Victor

Got the Manfrotto 680/486RC2 and it seems a sturdy combination , managed to pick it up on the classified here for £40.

Thanks, Victor.

Another question then, the 676B's maximum height is 5.05 feet. I'm 6'1"... That a problem with mono's? Don't want to have to hunker over too much. lol

The Manfrotto Neotec 685B expands to about 6 foot

I'm 6ft 5" and get on just fine with a Velbon Propod 7, they also do an 8 even even more height is required. Remember that the head will also add further height.

No problem.

Another issue, and one I didn't really consider is just how much weight the head also adds!

It would be well worth your while to see if you can borrow one for bit and see if you get on with it before splashing some cash.

Monopods are alot like excercise bikes in that only about 1 in 50 sold get used after the first week or two. They always seem like a good idea but most folk just don't get on with them at all.

Exactly what happened to me. I thought a monopod would allow me to get away with using stupidly low shutter speeds with no problems. It doesn't quite work like that. I used mine twice and then sold it, I found it easier to pan using just my hands. I only think they're worthwhile if you're using a big heavy lens that needs a bit of extra support to take the weight.

Alright. Coming back to this topic as I never purchased my mono. :D

Anymore thoughts on this? Gonna go with the aforementioned Manfrotto 680/486RC2 combo if not. Any thoughts on the 681B with tilt swivel head instead of a ball head?

Thanks!

I use a mono a lot with my 500L, tried ut with a head and hated the thing, now I just use it with a QR plate.

I use a mono a lot with my 500L, tried ut with a head and hated the thing, now I just use it with a QR plate.

:agree:
I use my monopod a great deal of the time. Always on my 300mm and often on my 70-200. If I don't need it for a shot I collapse the leg but leave it on the lens foot that way it's available straight away and it doesn't get in the way.
Mine is a Slik 350 which cost me £15, (about $20) and is perfectly adequate for the job, collapses to 20" and extends to 63". I'm 6' and it's a full strecth to the viewfinder without a head on the monopod,

Kev

Thanks, Victor.

Another question then, the 676B's maximum height is 5.05 feet. I'm 6'1"... That a problem with mono's? Don't want to have to hunker over too much. lol

F-Stop, don't forget you then need to add the height of whatever head you fit and the distance from the bottom of the camera (or grip if fitted) to the viewfinder if you're putting the camera on the pod. Even if you're attaching the pod direct to the lens bracket there's still going to be height increase to viewfinder level. I'm 6ft and I find the Manfrotto 679B more than adequate for my gripped 5D + 100-400mmL and that's without a head fitted. If I use my 488RC4 head I have to lower the pod significantly.

I have absolutely no problems using a Manfrotto 681 (681B is black model) monopod.

It is tall and relatively light; as light as some CF models.

However, the height and light weight comes at a slight expense. This is a three section monopod and doesn't collapse as short as the four section models do.

I have a Manfrotto 676B with 234 head that I use regular and it was only £45 ... you could try that one as its cheap and does the trick as for ball head ...why your body swivels round so really you only need tilt

Back