Monopod/Ballhead Recommendaion

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I'm after a super light/small but functional Monopod for my city breaks, i.e. easy and unobrusive carry. Maybe Carbon, but around 500g, and a foot or so long, but easy extension up to neck/eye height 5.5" to 6'. ball head easy and stable for light general walkaround gear Fuji/Voigtlander set-up. IDEAl, would be monopod capable of using longer/heavier lenses for wildlife, so something like a 100-400mm or 150-600mm set up, with minimal droop.

Any recommendations welcome from experience, or what's the recommended gear these days - a lot has changed from when I last bought a monopod/ballhead set up.

Price range for now say £60 for each item and would be bought used. Could go more for any bargains. I know low range, but these are items I'd use very little so just need to do the job. The best options I've seen are the smaller Sirui P326 and Velbon Super Stick 8 models. Ballheads, just so many I have no idea.

I don't know anything about monopods, but I have a 3 Legged Thing Airhed Neo which I'd happily sell you for about £30 if you're interested.

Don’t go for a ball head for long lenses, look for a MonoGimbal, Wimberley MonoGimbal MH-100 is the original, I have it and it’s been a godsend with my 1DXmii with a canon 300mm 2.8 is L mii attatched. Neewer have just brought out a much cheaper option GM-39 that has 15% off on their website.
i used to use a ball head but the MonoGimbal is a much more stable platform, you’ll need an arca Swiss quick release plate for each lens too.

Leofoto also supply a very very similar gimbal to the Wimberley.

Don’t go for a ball head for long lenses, look for a MonoGimbal, Wimberley MonoGimbal MH-100 is the original, I have it and it’s been a godsend with my 1DXmii with a canon 300mm 2.8 is L mii attatched. Neewer have just brought out a much cheaper option GM-39 that has 15% off on their website.
i used to use a ball head but the MonoGimbal is a much more stable platform, you’ll need an arca Swiss quick release plate for each lens too.
Yeah, fair comment. I've had the Wimberley and a third-party one in the past. A ballhead is OK for long lenses and a monopod tho you lose some flexability. There are workarounds. I am likely not organising a photo safari for the next year; there is no point in investing.

Bagged a fair priced Sirui P326 via ebay with an included decent enough ballhead for my city break/street shooting.

When I think a monopod is worth using, I always loosen off the ball.

In my experience, tightening up a ballhead offers little advantage, as my inherent body movement gets transmitted to the camera through the rigid support. I've found that a loose connection actually damps body movement.

I’ll aecond this

My Monogimbal + monopod setup has been great for my longer lenses.
Bit of extra cost initially; what with having to buy the replacement feet or plates. But totally worth it in the long run.

Back