Monopod for weddings?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

Got a couple of weddings gigs coming up. Not done too many of those, and in the past I've always done them hand held, but have been thinking about getting hold of a monopod to assist when brandishing my 70-200 f/2.8. I've always thought of a monopod as the preserve of the wildlife 'tog, but was wondering if it'd be a good remedy for arm ache whilst also allowing for the spontaneity required of a people gathering? Would like to hear people's experiences, and recommendations, on using one at a wedding event :)

Cheers

N

You will be moving far too often to make use of a monopod, the only time that would be useful would be in he ceremony.

Trade up your lens to the IS would be a better investment.

Ps I have a monopod and used it once because a venue I shot at I knew to be "basement" with no windows and low candle light. I shot wide open at 1.4 as well at like 1600 to 3200 ISO.

Last edited:
In my opinion if your shooting that slow you should up the ISO!
I'd never use a monopod at a wedding

Good point, Raymond: something I was suspecting. I'm fortunate to have the MkII version of the lens, which is of course IS. I guess a 'pod would be useful in specific kinds of ceremony, e.g. long, rambling ones where you don't have much room for manoeuvring.

In my opinion if your shooting that slow you should up the ISO!
I'd never use a monopod at a wedding

I was thinking more along the lines of it helping out with the weight = fatigue factor after many hours on one's feet, as opposed to it necessarily being a low light issue.

But maybe I should just stop being such a pansy :LOL:

Last edited:
Ah ok!!!!! It would be too noisy in a church surely ....... I don't think I've ever seen a wedding tog with a monopod really! Light stand possibly for OCF

I was thinking more along the lines of it helping out with the weight factor after many hours on one's feet, as opposed to it necessarily being a low light issue.

I'd personally rather deal with the weight than have to try and carry a monopod around during a wedding. I can't even imagine how annoying that would be, even if you could leave it somewhere out of the way during parts of the day.

If it's that much of a concern have you considered a 85mm prime instead? I shoot all my weddings with a 35/85 prime combo and I've honestly never felt like I'm missing out by not having those other mm's at my disposal.

I don't shoot with a 70-200, a lot of tog says it's a must have wedding lens and I found it the opposite, I found the 35/50/85 gets 95% of the job done. Then 16mm, 24mm, are dancefloor, 100mm for me is just for macro, 135 if I need the reach or in a big room for wedding speeches.

I don't shoot with a 70-200, a lot of tog says it's a must have wedding lens and I found it the opposite, I found the 35/50/85 gets 95% of the job done. Then 16mm, 24mm, are dancefloor, 100mm for me is just for macro, 135 if I need the reach or in a big room for wedding speeches.

I like the idea of using primes (I have a good 50 and 85), but isn't it a faff having to keep swapping lenses all the time? Have thought about getting something wider though: around the 24 to 35 mark.

Monopod for a 70-200mm? Man up that's a one hand lens

Haha yeah, yeah: I know! Having never used a monopod for anything before, was curious to know if it was a tool with advantages yet to be tapped. But judging by the good responses here, I'd be better off spending the money on a nice new tie for the occasion ;)

Double strap and leave them hanging

Haha yeah, yeah: I know! Having never used a monopod for anything before, was curious to know if it was a tool with advantages yet to be tapped. But judging by the good responses here, I'd be better off spending the money on a nice new tie for the occasion ;)
It will be more of a nuisance than a help - now if you were shooting the formals with a 400 f2.8 then I'd say get one.

As far as ties go - Canon red is a fine colour to go for - don't under any circumstances turn up in a Nikon black one

I like the idea of using primes (I have a good 50 and 85), but isn't it a faff having to keep swapping lenses all the time? Have thought about getting something wider though: around the 24 to 35 mark.

You have 2 bodies right for weddings?

One lens on each.

I was thinking more along the lines of it helping out with the weight = fatigue factor after many hours on one's feet, as opposed to it necessarily being a low light issue.

But maybe I should just stop being such a pansy :LOL:

Get a sling-type strap (Black Rapid, Peak Design etc) and let it hang, or double strap as suggested above - they're brilliant. The time you spend with the camera actually to your eye is relatively short.

Forget the monopod, not practical - use image stabilisation, high ISO, fast glass.

@Raymond Lin : I do have two bodies, a 5D2 and a 5D3, but you mentioned seven lenses in your earlier post! :runaway:

@HoppyUK : I have a Black Rapid, the single strap variety: I always thought the double strap ones look cumbersome, but I stand to be corrected!

Last edited:
@Raymond Lin : I do have two bodies, a 5D2 and a 5D3, but you mentioned seven lenses in your earlier post! :runaway:

@HoppyUK : I have a Black Rapid, the single strap variety: I always thought the double strap ones look cumbersome, but I stand to be corrected!

I have Auto focus primes, 2 zooms and 1 manual focus TSE...

Yeah, I have 2 wheeled cases, I can't fit them all in 1, and if I put them all in the big Peli i can't lift them into my car lol

What I do is have a lens on each body, typically start with 35/85. Then I put a few in my bag, like the 24, 50 and 1 flash in the bag.

If I need anything else I will go to the car to swap.

What I do is have a lens on each body, typically start with 35/85. Then I put a few in my bag, like the 24, 50 and 1 flash in the bag.

If I need anything else I will go to the car to swap.

Sounds like a reliable plan.

@HoppyUK: Hadn't seen those Peak Design straps before. Quite like the look of those.

Thanks all for the good advice! The monopod idea is well off my list: may update my strap collection instead and spend time properly scoping out the venues :ty:

Image1494605305.987052.jpgget yourself a double strap

Yeeeeah.... Thing is, they remind me too much of the phone holster Gareth from The Office was fond of wearing [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Never watched it

IMG_0412.jpg

Lol. Spot on :D:D:D

Last edited:
I've used one for years.

I never bought the IS 70-200, and use a monopod for the speeches, but that's the only time, but it's the only time I use that lens nowadays.

Just received my Peak Design Slide SL2 strap: what an excellent design! Very impressed with its build quality and functionality. Never felt as confident with the Black Rapid due to the way it swings about all over the place when it's at your side: this design is much better. Definitely better than a monopod :banana:

Also, I noticed a few other threads talking about the fact that the Slide has metal strap adjusters which may damage the camera when put away in your kit bag: seeing as it's incredibly easy to take the strap off the camera due to its unique design, and that PD supply a drawstring cloth bag to keep the strap in, I can't see that problem happening (y)

Also, I noticed a few other threads talking about the fact that the Slide has metal strap adjusters which may damage the camera when put away in your kit bag: seeing as it's incredibly easy to take the strap off the camera due to its unique design, and that PD supply a drawstring cloth bag to keep the strap in, I can't see that problem happening (y)

That was me.

The reason being I am used to keeping my straps like this in my bag. I drop the camera in and place the strap on top. The strap provides the padding to stop the camera moving around and there is no metal parts. I still have the PD strap and use it with my Fuji but I don't have a bag for my Fuji yet. Also, in terms of speed, it is much quicker just to pull out the camera and shoot than faff around with clipping on and off straps, then putting them neatly into their little bags.

Each camera, each lens has its own space, all the lenses are stored with their hood and there are reasons why the 85L is where it is, everything has a place. What i am saying is i have a system that works so for me at least, changing my workflow for a strap just isn't right thing to do for me.

p.s. the reason the leather straps are different colour is I can tell them apart at a glance.

Last edited:
I like it that PD supply four of the dangly anchor things with the strap, so I only need one strap for two cameras: not many strap designs allow you to swap it from one camera body to the other so quickly, much quicker and less precarious than swapping heavy lenses at speed. If I absolutely need two straps on at once I still have the BR. I also have a case like yours, a LowePro Runner, where I can stick the strap in the zip pocket on the front of the main flap when I'm done.

And it wasn't just you that mentioned the metal adjusters: a review I found said the same thing.

You will be moving alot so I won't bother with monopod ....... 70-200 is useful but is not a must have. Like Raymond mention, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm is a good start and should get most of your shots. Add a wide angle prime for group shots.

The next wedding I'll be doing is largely outdoors and I'll be using a 24-105 and the 70-200 on two bodies. I feel the former's f/4 is sufficient in this case as group shots require something of that speed and wide angle capabilities, with the 70-200 for more candid reception shots.

Back