Monopod head for Swiss Arca plate?

tlr

Edit My Images
Yes
I’d like to use my monopod with my Swiss Arca plates and long lenses, but I am struggling to find a head that offers this.

The only one I have found was the Benro DJ90, but strangely it wouldn’t quite tighten on any of my various brand plates (all of which work with my Wimberly gimbal). Dunno if I got a duff one, I asked WEX to investigate and replace, but they just refunded me.

Any suggestions please?

I have the Sirui L-10 tilt head and it works nicely.

NB though apart from the plate it came with I have Wimberley plates and have yet to try it with my Olympus 300mm that has an AS grooved foot on its tripod collar.

HTH:)

For a long while I used the RRS MH-01 monopod head with their lever release plate but recently changed to the Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal and find it superb. No fit issues with both Kirk and RRS L brackets and lens plates.

GC

You mentioned that you already have a 'Wimberley' gimbal.....why do you not use the gimbal with your monopod?

I only shoot wildlife, but use my gimbal with either my tripod and monopod all the time.

‘Cos I’d like to have the option of something smaller and lighter than tripod and gimbal. My carbon tripod is very light, but the gimbal is pretty big and heavy. If I was going I’m carry the gimbal I might as well take the tripod as well.

I have used the RRS MH-01 monopod head for many years starting back in the day when I shot football. It's a real piece of engineering, the clamp easily rotated using an Allen key when the orientation of the camera/lens plate demands it. It is however hugely expensive and I was lucky to get mine used and quite cheap.
The Andoer head looks to be excellent value for money my only concern would be the quality of the engineering, I have had several failures of Chinese made heads in the past year which I find strange.
In addition the Andoer head has panoramic capability which the RRS head lacks. Long lenses will of course place extra strain on a monopod head, the RRS was faultless with my 1DX and 500mm F4 combination and I had great confidence in the engineering.

Last edited:
Back