Monopod: how many stops can I gain?

Edit My Images
Yes
I think that to have an effective tripod to be used outdoor it has to be quite heavy and, as I do not like to carrry too much weight, maybe a monopod could be a good compromise.

How many stops can I gain? with a monopod?

Any models suggested?
for example Benro mp-63?

Thanks

You'll not gain any stops with a monopod, it'll reduce camera shake and help bring about sharper images and take the weight of your camera/lens which will reduce fatigue.

Monopod's just aren't steady enough to allow you to drop the shutter that much tbh as they still have a shakey human leaning on them :D

Yep, monopods are mainly for steadying and are a little more portable than a tripod, you certainly won't be able to reduce the shutter speed by anything worthwhile. As for weight, monopods can weigh as much and often more than a tripod.

Fabs and Digital are right, but if I get what you are saying, you will certainly be able to shoot with slower shutter speeds than you can hand held.

There is more to using a monopod than meets the eye. There are a number of techniques you can use to significantly improve the stability of a monopod (there is a tread on here about it somewhere) and I now find I'm using a monopod far more than I use a tripod.

You can jam it up against walls and fences, hold it against you trees and, by leaning on the monopod, you can sort of create a tripod effect by using your own legs as the other two legs of a sort of half human tripod.

Whilst I agree that they are obviously not as stable as a tripod, they are far more versatile and I suspect you will get more use out of a monopod than you will a tripod. I certainly do.

I use a Manfrotto 685B with a Manfrotto 234 head. Wouldn't like to be without it.

Yeah it's no substitute for a tripod but it's great for that additional support... imagine leaning against a tree etc for added stability, just you are carrying that extra support with you....

I don't see the benefit of having a head on my monopod personally other than the quick release aspect, but I would like to try it... I'm using a Manfrotto 679B at the moment which I love... Used my previous one (Velbon UP-4000) to do some nice motorsport shots (see my flickr) and I didn't really know what I was doing and got some interesting ones..

My advice would be to borrow one off someone to see if it is for you as some people like them some people don't.

What sort of photography do you do?

I use my monopod for sports photography (for long lenses) and always take it when walking - sometimes setting up a tripod can be a pain and the monopod is so much handier - especially with a QR head.

It's also doubles as a walking stick and is great for helping the kids cross streams.

I have an old Manfrotto (aluminium) with an industrial-looking spike - it's well battered which gives it a bit of "cred".

Once you use one, you'll never be without one.

I also carry a carbon fibre tripod for landscapes when walking distances and keep a heavier one in teh back of teh car for shorer excursions.

As a side note, not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, what advantage do people find with having a head on their monopod... granted I haven't used my a massive amount but personally have never found a situation where it being screwed directly to the monopod has caused me an issue....

As a side note, not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, what advantage do people find with having a head on their monopod... granted I haven't used my a massive amount but personally have never found a situation where it being screwed directly to the monopod has caused me an issue....

Gains a bit of height and the QR plate is a godsend. Being able to tilt is often useful as well.

I have a little Canon 20w video light that I stick on the end of my monopod in case I have really bad light at a wedding. I don't need it to be too close but it's quick, easy and very portable.

I have a little Velbon without a head on it but it does have it's own ball mechansim, it only tilts in one direction though (There is a slot in the head casing that allows a tilt to90 deg)

I find a monopod ideal for carrying around the mountains, I carry enough weight as it is so a tripod isn't really practical. It definitely allows me to get sharper shots than I would handheld, I use a 234RC head which allows use of the QR plate, indispensable IMHO

simon

Check the Manfrotto 682B self-standing, small feet, lightweight, I use mine a lot.
Jim

To get the most stability out of a monopod one method is to use it as one leg of a tripod, the other two legs being yours. For this you want to put the monopod out at a bit og an ang and hold the camera tight up against you. Without an adjustable head you can't do this as you will end up pointing your camera at the sky.

you can get monopods with foot rests on them for stability

the ones I like are walking sticks which double up as a monopod...maybe not as good alround but helpful on a mountain trek

To get the most stability out of a monopod one method is to use it as one leg of a tripod, the other two legs being yours. For this you want to put the monopod out at a bit og an ang and hold the camera tight up against you. Without an adjustable head you can't do this as you will end up pointing your camera at the sky.

Horses for courses, use what you need and are happy with.
Jim

I see the benefit of a head now.. I might have to have a look into getting one...

Again I haven't put it to the test much but the 679B certainly feels like it could be used as a walking stick... I wouldn't want to put all my weight on it, but the velbon was a lot flimsier and that worked fine for supporting a little weight walking up steep hills so I can't see that the manfrotto being alot sturdier wouldn't be able to do the same...

Theres only two times when I carry a monopod - when shooting motorsport photography in poor lighting where I use it with a head as it helps when panning. And the other time is when I venture to south London. :p

I'm using a carbon fibre Benro monopod which is fantastic value. Very sturdy, lightweight and was relatively cheap for a CF one. Would definitely recommend it.

Thank you everyone for your advices!
So it makes camera steadier, that should mean slower shutter speed, but not a lot as you are saying.

I want to use it for landscapes, as I'm going to buy ND grad andND filters. does a monopod make sense?
Thanks

Depends if using N/D filters could you hold it steady for long enough?
If using N/D grads again can you hold it steady enough to line them up?
Usually you would be better off with a tripod.
Must admit though have only used a monopod for steadying a long lens.
C

Think of a monopod as a kind of pivot. It stabilises in the vertical but not the horizontal if that makes sense.

For any kind of long exposure you need it to be rock solid, therefore, tripod time.

It very much depends on the length of the exposure and the terrain, length of lens and your own personal ability to stay still.

Monopods come into their own with long heavy lenses, especially for sports photography.

Holding such a combination with out support soon causes stress shakes.

Monopod are also best used lens mounted, as the mounts permit quick change from portrait to landscape.

If like me you have a degree of age related shake , monopods are of little use on their own. In such cases the Use of IS is of far more benefit.

Yeah, just think of a monopod as having something to rest on... if it's landscape shots I would think a tripod is going to be your best bet.

Monopod are also best used lens mounted, as the mounts permit quick change from portrait to landscape.

That's the purpose of the tilt head though isn't it?

I know a lot of people seem to mount it the other way so they can use it to lower elevation, I thought that was the whole point of a monopod over a tripod though.

Thank you everyone for your advices!
So it makes camera steadier, that should mean slower shutter speed, but not a lot as you are saying.

I want to use it for landscapes, as I'm going to buy ND grad andND filters. does a monopod make sense?
Thanks

I would say no to the monopod for nd work its tripod time.
The Monopods are great as additional stabilizing as others have said for panning shots or on a trek/walk they come into there own with the walking pole type(it was called a stick in my day).

That's the purpose of the tilt head though isn't it?

I know a lot of people seem to mount it the other way so they can use it to lower elevation, I thought that was the whole point of a monopod over a tripod though.

Yes, that's the reason for the head, it can be used in either portrait or landscape orientation.

A monopod isn't exactly a replacement for a tripod, in low light it doesn't provide the required stability & as ND filters etc reduce light it's not the ideal choice for this purpose.

Personally I look at a monopod as a replacement for "hand-held photography" in decent lighting, for my landscape shots it gives me the option of walking around mountains with less weight but still getting very sharp images..the caveat being that if light levels drop so does the sharpness of my shots whereas if I had the tripod with me light levels wouldn't make a significant difference to image sharpness due to the more "rock solid" tripod setup

Simon

Personally I look at a monopod as a replacement for "hand-held photography" in decent lighting, for my landscape shots it gives me the option of walking around mountains with less weight but still getting very sharp images..the caveat being that if light levels drop so does the sharpness of my shots whereas if I had the tripod with me light levels wouldn't make a significant difference to image sharpness due to the more "rock solid" tripod setup

Simon

Yes, I agree, I was trying to say that the monopod was to give you the freedom to follow something that a tripod perhaps didn't, so your idea that it is the same as handheld is better. It just takes the weight off your arms.

Back