Monopod or no monopod?

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
This Saturday at Silverstone marks the start of my first season in motorsport photography, only as a hobby not professional.

I will be using 2 Canon full frame bodies and the lenses I will be taking are the 100-400mm mkii and my very much neglected 70-200mm F4 IS.

I will be amongst the public but could very well get a media pass from the team I will be supporting in the pits which will mean trackside access.

What I want to know is, have any of you used these combos with a monopod or would you recommend leaving the monopod in the car.

I think my 500mm mkii will be a bit ott where I would definitely be using one.

Thanks in advance.

IMO

With the two zooms I feel a monopod may be more am encumbrance than useful. However, if you were taking the 500mm then the pod I would think is a welcome aid?

A couple random thoughts ~ is your kit insured, if so does it cover 'track side" usage. I know when I insured mine I said no to trackside....saying yes AFAIK would have increased my premium. Secondly and this has nothing to do with business but do check whether you will permitted trackside without PLI (Public Liability Insurance)??

Thanks for your input.

If I can find a track that I can use the 500mm at, then I will take it but it will take visiting the circuit before hand or one ive been to before to find out.

Yes, kit is definitely insured, as for trackside I'm not sure.

I'm insured with Eversure who do cover PLI.

I wouldn’t bother with monopod for your zooms.

I agree with the above - without appropriate insurance you won't get anywhere beyond sign on.

In terms of the monopod question, I never used to use one as I found it very restrictive. However, since I bought the Tamron 150-600mm I have changed my mine. This is such a heavy lens that a full day of panning leaves me exhausted, so having a monopod is a godsend.

I find that having a small tilt head helps - I like to angle my shots do being able to pan with the camera cantered over at an angle is a good thing.

For smaller lenses - up to my 70-300 - I really wouldn't bother with the monopod, but for superzooms, it is kinda essential for me these days.

What I've found is its best to use a monopod if your shooting with a heavy lens which you can't handhold for long or find it uncomfortable too, or if your shooting from a long distance away at a slow shutter speed. If your shooting quite close to the subject the monopod does restrict your movement.

Second from the bottom or is there different types of public liability insurance?Screenshot_20190327-211832.jpg

You need to check how much your PLI covers you for. I'd guess a bundled PLI such as what you've shown will be for £1 million. All UK circuits demand a minimum of £5 million in which case they won't let you sign on. It's kind of academic though, if you haven't applied for accreditation by this point then it's probably too late anyway.

Last edited:
Cheers guys for your advice.

I won't get my hopes up too much for this season anyway, as a wildlife photographer I might be terrible at it.

I will see how it goes and may look in it for next season that's if I'm still with the team.

That's the policy summary. You need to read the actual policy document.

If you've never shot motorsport before I would suggest attending a few races and shooting from the spectator side first just to get a feel for the sights, sounds and smells. This isn't to sharpen your creativity but to develop an appreciation that motorsport is dangerous and inexperience or just not paying attention to your surroundings could end quite badly for you if you've never been trackside before.

If I can find a track that I can use the 500mm at

Obviously depends on your style but I'd say with full frame spectator side Silverstone is one track where the 500 is likely to be more useful. I've just run through my images on Flickr from my last 2 GT visits and I'd say around 50% are at 400mm or higher (and that doesn't take into account cropping). This is on an 80D as well, so effectively 640mm plus. Like I said depends on your style through.

Back