Monopod v tripod?

Ashers

Suspended / Banned
Name
Ash
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I am a shakey person generally, but I only have room to take one, which should I take, a monopod or my aluminimum (very old) tripod, Im going to take landscapes on my way home from work.

Whys that then just out of interest?
I also need someone to recommend a decent lightweight tripod for 30 quid or under as the one Ive got weighs a tonne - all metal.

:agree: ... (y) ... at least a tripod can double as a mono on the odd occasion ... :cautious: ... more than can be said for a monopod doubling as a tripod ... :shrug:

:p

Just lets say Ashers you get a fantastic sunset and an exposure time of a couple of seconds. I don't think the monopod would hack it. ;)

And if 30 quid is your limit stick with your heavy old one. It will probably be the nuts. Heavy = stable!

Cheers, Im going to fiddle with my camera for the first time :) and hope it doesnt get robbed in Blackpool.

And ally is not that heavy in the scheme of things ... :D ... but CT is spot on as usual .. you cannot beat three legs for a stable platform ... ;)

:p

Apologies for hijaking thread....but...is it worth getting a monopod?

I dont have a tripod either at the moment:crying: but its on my list to get!

Just seems a monopod is handy for travelling etc

and what should I look for when choosing one?

Thanks

Apologies for hijaking thread....but...is it worth getting a monopod?

I dont have a tripod either at the moment:crying: but its on my list to get!

Just seems a monopod is handy for travelling etc

and what should I look for when choosing one?

Thanks

It's definitely worth it, but like all of us you no doubt have cash priorities. A monopod is no replacement for a tripod - you couldn't do a 30 second night exposure with a monopod - but it does enable you to take shots which would entail a lengthily long exposure without some form of support- and so avoid camera shake.

A monopod can also help ease the fatique of using a heavy camera/lens combination on a long days shooting. My wife finds the 100-400L a bit much for handholding so uses a monopod with it.

As for what to look for in a monopod it depends on your own needs and preferences. I use a Manfrotto Neotec 685B. It's very easy to raise and lower it just by squeezing a handgrip trigger, even with heavy gear mounted on it. It allows genuine one- handed operation, but folded, it isn't one of the shortest available - so it very much depends on your own priorities.

Thanks for your reply

Another question...do they have a swivel head? Or do you have to buy something else (yet another expense!!)

what do you think about the earlier one mentioned with the retractable legs? :help:

Well you don't need a swivel head on a monopod - they're basically just a pole, so rotating it isn't a problem. You can manage without any form of head on it at all, and just screw the pod straight into your camera. You can get a reasonable up and down angle if you need to just by leaning the monopod, but obviously there's a limit to how far you'd want to lean it. I went for the little tilt head for the 685B as it's only about 14 quid, and allows you to tilt the camera up and down while keeping the monopod upright.

The monopod with the three fold out legs would be useful at times but in the slightest breeze the whole thing would be quivering like a periwinkle up a sewer so I wouldn't place those legs too high on my list of priorities. ;)

LOL at 'another expense!' TPF can be a dangerous place! :D

Thank again CT....youve been very helpful.(y)

On the subject of monopods, I use a walking pole with a removable head that then doubles as a monopod and whilst it is not ideal, it does provide a little extra assistance.

However, I have recently bought my girlfriend a TrekPod Go, which has so far proved to be excellent and it is absolutely ideal for her Powershot G9. Even with my EOS 40D onboard it provides very good support, although I would sooner hold onto it!

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr...e=PON07L000060&Prod_name=Trek-Tech TrekPod Go!

Back