monopod.

Name
Daniel Hodson
Edit My Images
Yes
always been curious as to what functionality they have?

I've got a tripod, and been offered a monopod relatively cheap.

what are the advantages?

Portablilty and the ability to whack any scumbag over the head who tries to nick my gear!

They are absolutely no good at all for those occasions where a tripod is really necessary, those 6 sec exposures are just not going to work on a monopod. Where they are useful, however, are those occasions where handholding is tricky. If you are shooting with a heavy bit of kit the extra support from the monopod can help immensely. Low light occasions where a tripod is not practical, (in the church at a wedding perhaps) a monopod is a lot less obtrusive.

Poking you partner while asleep on a train is, however not recommended :)

Poking you partner while asleep on a train is, however not recommended :)

Whats this have to do with monopods? :p

Generally well summed up!! Especially the comment about whacking would be thieves with them....then again, I wouldn't like to get in the way of my tripod either!

Mostly for the big heavy lens :)

If you don't already have one, you really should buy a big heavy lens to put on your monopod ;)

imgp04031024x768ii6.jpg

I use one more or less all the time for my wildlife shots.It certainly helps getting sharper pictures with my slowish long lenses.

thankyou. not really got a massive lens to bundle on the end of a monopod. but may consider one non the less. often I feel intimidated when out and about with my gear on my own.

monopod as a weapon, now theres an idea:clap:

thanx again though guys!

There can be situations where a tripod cannot be used. I've come across some locations where photography is welcomed , but no tripods. ( It's down to blocking paths etc). A monopod didn't have the same restriction.

If you do get one make sure you can raise and lower the legs easily with the camera fitted. Quick release locks are ideal

thankyou. not really got a massive lens to bundle on the end of a monopod. but may consider one non the less. often I feel intimidated when out and about with my gear on my own.

monopod as a weapon, now theres an idea:clap:

thanx again though guys!

But don't hit them with it when your cameras on the end of it.:bang:

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread but i noticed you are in Bouremouth. @ AIB im guessing? My fiancee is there doing Commercial Photography :wave:

Back on topic(ish) can anyone suggest a good monopod?

If you don't mind spending more, you won't find an easier one to use than a Manfrotto 685B Neotec . Pulls open and locks without any catches to undo and just a pull of a finger trigger releases it for lowering again. I love mine! :love:

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread but i noticed you are in Bouremouth. @ AIB im guessing? My fiancee is there doing Commercial Photography :wave:

yeah, Im at the AIB. studying Vis-Com. I know someone doing photography not sure which area though.

I use a Manfrotto 681b with a RRS QR clamp, I tried it with a head on it but found it crap.

Back