Monopods and Ballheads

nbt

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got an old monopod that's been here for years. There's a very very tired ball head on it that doesn't seem to lock properly

this may seem like a stupid question but
1) there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer, and
2) It's cheaper to find your mistakes by asking stupid quesions before you spend money, rather than having to spend more money to fix them

anyway, this is the monopod

and this is the disassembled head

The question is, can I just get another ballhead to replace the existing one, for instance one from redsnapper? DO replacement heads use pretty standard sized threads? The actual monopod is a three piece affair with flip locks, might it be worth replacing the entire thing?

thanks in advance!

Tripods/monopods/head threads should be either 1/4 BSW or for heavier tripod/monopods/heads 3/8 BSW. As far as I am aware that is the thread that has always been used and all heads have one or the other.

It looks like you've disassembled more than the head. The knurled flanged cap and the threaded piece need to go back on - it is the protruding thread that the head screws onto. If it is 1/4" then you should be OK. 1/4" is the same size as most modern camera tripod mounting holes - so if your camera screws directly onto the protruding thread, there should be no worries.

Looks as if the threaded screw may be reversible to give you the option of 1/4 or 3/8ths ?

thanks guys, I was wondering if the knurled head was supposed to come off, but having a reversible screw makes sense

Back