Monsal Head/Viaduct Deryshire

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
put this photo up, taken on a walk around several derbyshire sites today.
monsalhead.jpg

Constructive idea's please.
stevannie

Best shot you've shown yet! Needs a sky and a bit of a sharpen, but you're getting there! :thumb:

thanks CT, i applied the USM filter to it, directions found in the 'End of Race' thread, changed to LAB colour etc etc..
i am quite pleased with it, considering how misty and bland the day was, just not sure how to get a sky in there though.

There's a great sky already there. Just drop the gamma and you'll see it. :)

Sorry mate, I know you're gagging for info but till we can get the 'How To's done, you'll have to wait, but all you need is there without dropping a sky in if you have a play with the processing. ;)

not sure how its suposed to be done not in the mood to crack open the photoshop book I bought myself for xmas what I did in CS2 was
Select - Colour range
click on the sky and adjust the slider till I had it all then ok
Right click on the selection - feather - 5 pixels
Right click again -layer via copy

In the new layer
image - adjustments - levels - moved left little triangle right until I could see some detail
Layer - new fill layer - gradient - I picked a "simple" one at random was purple I think
right click on the gradient layer in the layer box - blending options - pin light

Layer - flaten image
image - adjustments - auto levels + Auto colour
finally save for web

sky.jpg

Its by no means perfect as I'm making it up as I go and rushing but you get the idea. In general make an new layer of the sky with a feathered selection (if I'd used a smaller feather I'd have avoided the darkening along the edge of the hill) else you'll get an obvious join, then tweak the new layer untill you get a sky you're happy with. I'm not sure playing with the gradient layer actually did anything :banghead:

Good man Gemok! The only way to really learn this stuff is get in there and have a go. There are so many different ways to tackle this but I've done a quick and cheerful bodge job.

monsalhead2.jpg

The quick way I did it was to draw a rectangular mask which included all the sky and overlapped it onto the foreground a little. Then convert the mask to a layer (copy and paste as new layer will achieve the same thing). Darken sky to taste then select eraser and remove the overlapping darker foreground.

Combine layers and save. I tweaked the levels a little and sharpened.

This is a great composition Steve :)

I might be the only one on this but I think it looks a little yellow, try setting the white balance off the 'Ashford' sign writing as I assume it is white.

hi guys
i will try this sky attempt later, looks better to me.

SammyC, thank you, i will also try and change the whitebalance from the sign as you say, i took the photo in Raw, because of the misty hills, and the overcast day, so i can mess around loads with the picture.

Well only if you think it looks too yellow mate. This is my work monitor which has been known to have issues with colour!

After recent discussions regarding colour cast only you know what the correct colour should be :)

If you took the photo in raw you could improve the sky further by developing (is that the right term?) two tiffs or jpgs from the same raw file one processed for the sky and one for the hills and merge the two together.

nice idea Gemok, will try it.
@SammyC
i tried the white balance using levels, but just seemed to blow out the sky, didn't do much for the picture overall.
i am having a go at burning in the sky, that way i can get it correct.
stevannie

yes, it's done that to me when I've used PS to do it. Things are correctly white but loose all texture.

I personally set the white balance from the RAW file.

Back