Monster Trucks

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I wasn't sure whether these cae under Transport or motorsport, so I've plumped for this section. The shots were taken at a local event, and very busy so once I'd settled on a position I was stuck with it as I was shoting as Joe Public. I also realise, with hindsight (ain;t it great) that #2 and #3 should have been taken with my nifty fifty, as they were taken 51mm f/3.2, so the f/1.8 could have lost the background some more. Anyway, the pictures....
img0622i.jpg

img0635y.jpg

img0649wk.jpg

img0797d.jpg

img0821l.jpg

img0838iv.jpg

This last shot shows man and his machine, Michael Murty, the shows MC and also the owner of the two monster trucks featured.

These trucks will be appearing at a free event in West park, Wolverhampton on July 10th and 11th, along with stunt motorcyclists etc.

P.S. #1 was to try out the theory of this kind of shot, although I realised a monster truck would not be airborne long enough. Hopefully the motorbikes at Wolverhampton will be better for it.

I think 4 & 5 work best with the crowd, 2 & 3 kinda looks like they're practicing alone somewhere.

Agree a sower shutter speed would have blurred the wheels and give a bit of movement..

Good shots though

Good all round set of shots you got there.

There's something quirky I like about #6. Because the guy is in focus and the truck is blurred and so big, it makes it look a little like a tilt shift shot because he looks dwarf like!

Cheers for the replies folks, I'll male sure I get a better spot for their next show. I know what everyone means about the shutter speed, but shooting on ISO100 @f/3.2 was giving me 1/1600 of a second. I didn't want the crowd and fairground to be in focus. Next time I'll stick an ND on and up it to ISO200 to try and catch some movement.

Number 3 (Grim Reaper Truck) looks a little soft but I can't quite put my finger on why. Whereas, the one above it is pin sharp.

The rest are great, and I particularly like second to last.

You're right about #3 being soft, I took a punt a while back on a used Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, and it's soft below f/4 off centre. Having taken #2 I wanted to try and throw the background out, and that resulted in the softness.

These don't work for me because of the fast shutter speeds. If you'd had shot at a slower shutter speed you would of captured the action in the shots. At the moment the trucks just look parked (even in the air).

Nice colours though (y)

I agree, great shots but try to get a lower shutter speed for some movement on the wheels. Other than that, spot on! (y)

Okay, so to capture movement I'm going to need to invest in an ND filter (I have a Cokin P system), so which one would be the best, guessing I need around 1/500-1/640 shutter speeds, but I still want to shoot at f/3.2 or 3.5

I might be wrong but I think you are looking at even slower than that, even 1/500 freezes helicopter blades.

Back