Montenegro - Bay of Kotor

Edit My Images
No
My wife and I were incredibly lucky this summer to be invited to sail with friends from Croatia to Corfu, passing through Montenegro and Albania.
We sailed into the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro and it was simply stunning. I wanted to post these holiday snaps and inspire anyone looking for a beautiful spring/summer destination.

As you enter the bay they are building 'Porto Montenegro' - a massive marina for super yachts. It was another world - people being speed-boated in off huge power yachts and being collected in Merc mini-buses with blacked out windows. We stopped here briefly to try to get our dirty laundry washed... and swiftly moved on as they were charging 3 Euros per item (we later got 3 bags done for 30 Euros further down the coast)!

MN2014-22-2 by S.Stavrou, on Flickr

There are Italian looking settlements all along the sides of the fjords that look picture perfect. For some reason I dont have any pictures of the medieval town of Kotor at the end of the fjord. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and is like stepping back in time with its cobbled streets and tiny alleys.

MN2014-21 by S.Stavrou, on Flickr

This Catholic church was in one of the villages we stopped at.

MN2014-20-2 by S.Stavrou, on Flickr

To give you a sense of scale...

MN2014-20 by S.Stavrou, on Flickr

The church of Our Lady Of The Rocks. According to legend, fishermen saw Mary in the reef and began a ritual of dropping a stone on the spot every time they sailed by. Eventually the island was created, and upon that island the church was built.

MN2014-25 by S.Stavrou, on Flickr

These snaps really don't do the place justice. Go and visit for yourselves and you wont be disappointed!

Last edited:
Two years ago we stayed in Cavtat, Croatia near Dubrovnik not too far from Montenegro, I'd love to visit, the steep hills along the coast look very similar, your last pictures especially looks fascinating.

We stayed in Cavtat for 2 nights before sailing south. We loved it. Close enough to Dubrovnik for a day trip, less busy and great food. The coastline is very similar, only getting flatter in further south in Montenegro and Albania.

wasn't the film "the vikings" made around there somewhere

Back