Moody Skies - First time with layers

Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_7954.jpg

First time with layers for me , hopefully its come out ok! :thinking:

Love it! I can tell you've pp'd the horizon but it definitely works for me.

looks better! For the horizons, I apply a gradient to the mask to evenly fade it in, and then touch it up where needed with a soft brush.

I preferred the darker clouds of the first version too!

Problem is if you darken the sky too much, the colour reflected in the sea can appear a little bright in comparison. If you've applied a second copy layer of the sky over the original, then it can help to allow a little of the water colour to come through as well.

I also prefered the darker clouds of the first one, though the contrast between the white water and the dark grey sky is a bit over the top.

Still - it's a damned sight better than my first attempts (y)

Very nice, I like that a lot Neil. (y) :clap:

The horizon does look better in the second edit, but I agree with gilly, and prefer the moody clouds in the first. Time for a third edit?! ;):)

I'd like to see your original shot too, as I like the subject matter in the first place.

Although messing about with layers and that can be educational and create some stunning results, I found myself asking if I really wanted to go down that route, and whether I could be arsed doing all that work each time I took a pic. Maybe it shows in my photographs, but if the pp takes longer than a couple of minutes I just can't be bothered. Especially when it comes to things like feathering in a bit of this and a bit of that.

I like the sharpness and detail of the breakwater and wouldn't bother about spoiling it by altering the sky.

Hi Pirate, glad that my post made you laugh, I was trying to be helpful as your PS technique was crap and I didn't want to say so. All your attempts at blending sky and sea have failed, so why not concetrate on what otherwise is a great image.
Forbiddenbiker, sorry if I confused you. I'll make my future posts simple so that you can understand them.

Bye All.

Hi Pirate, glad that my post made you laugh, I was trying to be helpful as your PS technique was crap and I didn't want to say so. All your attempts at blending sky and sea have failed, so why not concetrate on what otherwise is a great image.
Forbiddenbiker, sorry if I confused you. I'll make my future posts simple so that you can understand them.

Bye All.

You just did :razz:

Back