Moon and Jupiter

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a couple pictures I took Sunday evening of the moon and Jupiter. I was testing out the tripod my wife has bought me for my soon to be birthday.
I think moon came out very good with my Nikon L830 and I'm impressed with my Jupiter, You can make out the planetary bands. I did try take a shot of Jupiter and its moons but I knocked the tripod and ended up with a wobbly blob. Couldn't get the focus again with the camera to try it again. Think next time for Jupiter I might be better of do some shots 60fps to try and get some stacking going.
The images are unprocessed and are of single shot.

moony by rzer0, on Flickr

jupt by rzer0, on Flickr

Stacking video is often a good way to get planetary shots. I got this by using a webcam attached to a telescope to record video... then stacked the frames.

Not brilliant... but shows what can be done with limited gear.

View attachment 32141

Hi David, Nice photo of Jupiter. I must have been trying to do the same on the same night.

Not sure how to stack, though I have Deep Sky.

With Jupiter, if you over under expose to try and see the rings, it moves to far during the exposure.

What lens do you use, what exposure?

I also use a 8" telescope, but for some reason the mount refuses to track, so the added magnification means stars move rapidly.

Anyway super photo

MJView attachment 32620

@Mark Johnson

As I said in my post.... this was not with a SLR. It was a Phillips web cam mounted to a 6" Skywatcher 150P telescope. The video frames were then stacked.

I did not use a lens.... the camera were used "prime focus"... meaning they were attached to the scope instead of an eyepiece.

With Jupiter, I shot video, so didn't need to track, as the stacking software aligns the frames. With the moon, there was also no need to track due to the fast shutter speed.

I do have a motorised equatorial mount though.... so can track... but only fr short durations, even if its well polar aligned. For long exposures you need a guided equatorial mount..
5RtFEer.jpg

What kind of scope/mount is it? You need an equatorial mount to track, not an alt/azimuth mount.

Thanks.

Nikon D7000 mounted on a Skywatcher 150P 6" reflector telescope. 1/1000th sec. ISO400.
4Fu5Fo5.jpg

Last edited:
Back