Moon Fun - 10200mm (35mm eq)

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, technically Sunday morning, but hey...

Each section is 250 of 1000 frames, stacked in avistack.

Firstly a 23 pane Mosaic

QHY5v, Ultima x2, C80ED, red and uv/ir filters

click for full size

Then I added a tube between camera and barlow, and shot a terminator mosaic

click for full size

Seeing was not very good, I think the winds at mid level, being quite fast (based on the earlier cloud speed) were causing some problems.

Absolutely brilliant John, well done :)

wow! the detail in that is superb!
How much does it cost to get equipment good enough to do these sort of quality moon shots?

i now had a look at the full size image and i cannot see any American Flag there at all.........:shrug:

Cracking pic - love the detail in the first one!

As good as I've seen anywhere, excellent work.
Must drag my scope/mount out again and give it a whirl.

Thanks all...

Lynton, I'm afraid my tiny little refractor doesn't have the resolution to see anything at that scale, best I can manage at 250,000 miles is a couple of miles across. Even the Hubble can't get that small ;)

Steve, this sort of thing can be achieved for far less money than you might think, although I've got an expensive tripod and head under mine, and that helps a lot. One of http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6313&CategoryID=452&SubCategoryID=522 converted (remove the lens and replace with a focuser fitment) will work on any scope. Automated tracking really does make this much easier, but isn't essential.

:eek: my god..........that is BRILLIANT :clap::clap::clap: Amazed, lost for words at that (well, apart from what I've just typed) :)

i now had a look at the full size image and i cannot see any American Flag there at all.........:shrug:

haha, yeah I wonder what crappy excuse they'll come up with when they are finally busted. Probably the "wind" blew it away or it went up in flames from solar flares or something hehe

Thanks all...

Lynton, I'm afraid my tiny little refractor doesn't have the resolution to see anything at that scale, best I can manage at 250,000 miles is a couple of miles across. Even the Hubble can't get that small ;)

Steve, this sort of thing can be achieved for far less money than you might think, although I've got an expensive tripod and head under mine, and that helps a lot. One of http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6313&CategoryID=452&SubCategoryID=522 converted (remove the lens and replace with a focuser fitment) will work on any scope. Automated tracking really does make this much easier, but isn't essential.

seriously? I was expecting it to be fair bit of equipment, huge lens, etc. not something made out from a webcam?

excellent shots chap

Bloody nora John :eek:

It's all thanks to you I don't take moon shots anymore, just like it's thanks to Alby I don't do macro!!!

The full size version is just mind blowing.

:clap:

Completely outta this world :D (Sorry!!)

This is just extraordinary, fantastic shots, the full size versions are just amazing.

Cheers Guys...

Sorry Andy :D.. you've not seen images done with a C14 then ?? Monster scope that needs a mount much heavier than mine, but stunning for resolution. Now get out that and take photos of the moon and small scale stuff too :D

seriously? I was expecting it to be fair bit of equipment, huge lens, etc. not something made out from a webcam?

I'm using a 600mm Telescope (80mm Aperture) (and I got that cheap), but I have done this with a kit that in total cost me less than £200 including the camera. The webcam in question contains a pretty good CCD chip, the only thing that lets it down is the frame rate, it's USB 1 so is limited to 10 to 15 fps max without compression causing a problem. I'm now using a high frame rate astro camera (so designed for the job), and is therefore more expensive (it serves a primary role as a guide camera for long exposures, that's another story though), but it's not much more than a webcam really.

Cheers Guys...

Sorry Andy :D.. you've not seen images done with a C14 then ?? Monster scope that needs a mount much heavier than mine, but stunning for resolution. Now get out that and take photos of the moon and small scale stuff too :D

C14?
Don't even know what one is mate!!!
When are you getting one :woot:

wow. some serious shots for such a good price! would love to get into this. I think my mrs would even allow me to buy the kit as she used to be quite interested into this sort of thing when she was younger, and she was impressed when I showed her your image.

Yeah right Andy... I think they have been replaced now with the EdgeHD scopes, and they are so damned expensive... I'd also need a new mount cos mine would probably collapse under the weight...

It's a whole new photographic challenge Steve ;)... good luck... Oh and my telescope, whilst not being as user friendly as a 600mm L is a seriously large amount of money cheaper, and with some practice and effort can produce reasonable daytime images too. Ok, it (or rather I'll) never rival the results of a 600mm L with it, but I didn't half get some odd looks when I walked into the nature reserve with a 600mm long black tube resting over my shoulder :D...

Great pics!
Just annoyed that some people still think that the Apollo missions didn't get to the moon.It's such a cheap shot and disrespects the people who lost their lives in the Apollo program.

Maybe one day I shall take the plunge and buy myself some kit to try this out :)

John, what can I add to the above............ NOTHING!

Absolutely outstanding as always. You really do produce some wonderful works!!! (y)

Thanks all

Darren, I got Jupiter with the 5x magnifier, I don't know if you saw it.

another amazing shot.
John-As usual im in awe of what you manage to achieve.
Out of interest-Do you do any deep field stuff?
Have had a go myself,but light pollution here is just...horrendous.
(Not far from Heathrow...lol)

Thanks all...

Darren, this sort of image isn't affected by light pollution. The exposures are way too short for LP to affect them... I was running at about 30 fps.

I do Jason... have a look at my blog. I've posted a number on here, but without search, I'm not going to be able to find them. I'm quite lucky with LP really, but something like the Astronomik CLS filter (comes in an EOS clip fit, fits inside the body) works great on LP.

Very nice John, I didn't realise you where using the QHY5 these days, great little camera for lunar and planetary work as well as guiding of course.

Back