Moon One

D

Dinsdale

Looked out my back door this evening and saw the moon was nice and clear so I decided to have a go at photographing it.
Equipment was:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 300 f/4 with 1.4x teleconverter
Tripod and cable release.
1/100 sec at F/11 ISO 320 -5.0EV
Took a bit a fiddling in LR5 to get it this close but reasonably happy with the results so I thought I'd share it in here and hopefully get some critique. Possibly over sharpened?

Moon-1
by RWalton65, on Flickr

I like it but care to explain your settings of 1/100 sec at F/11 ISO 320 -5.0EV. I am mostly perplexed at your -5.0 EV.

Thanks.
Care to clarify why you are perplexed? I stopped down the exposure a bit then more as the results got better. At -5.0EV my camera maxed out and I was left with this shot. I'm sure I could have used a faster shutter speed etc. to achieve the same goal, but that's how I arrived at this shot and that's how I reported it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good detail on the craters, maybe a little oversharpened but overall a good capture.

I actually like how sharp it is, instantly draws you to all the tiny little details! I love it!

Thats a nice shot but on my monitor(s) you appear to have lost all detail along the limb. which confuses my eye, other than that I'd happily have that as my shot.

Nick.

Back