Moon Shot

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
I finally got to get out with my camera and telescope together last night.
Here are a couple of shots of the moon I'm quite happy with.
C&C welcome.

moon1upload.jpg

moon2upload.jpg

Very nice. Plenty of details there.. What scope do you have ?

Thanks guys. I have a 100mm f10 ( 1000mm focal length ) achromatic refractor, mounted on a motorised EQ5 mount.

great photo, very clear.
first time I tried I thought i,d better have a long exposure...lol

That's what my attempts have been like!

Very impressive.

The best tip I was given for the moon is to think of it like a light pointed towards the camera - you need to have a low exposure if you're going to get any detail. In fact, I've got my best results by slightly underexposing and then bringing back the brightness in PP.

My versions aren't as tightly cropped - on flickr.

Nice shot btw! (y)

What you need to remember is that the illuminated part of the moon is in full sunlight, and should be exposed for as such. Unless the moon is filling the viewfinder, most cameras will overexpose because the meter gets fooled by all the blackness in the frame.

What you need to remember is that the illuminated part of the moon is in full sunlight, and should be exposed for as such. Unless the moon is filling the viewfinder, most cameras will overexpose because the meter gets fooled by all the blackness in the frame.

Yep, it's one of those common sense things that you don't think about. Looking up into a dark night sky you instictivley think" long exposure", instead of thinking "This is an object in full noon daylight". :thinking:

Back