Moon shot :)

Name
Imran
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm loving the 70-200 2.8 IS.. but then coupled with a 2xTC is just something else. Especially when I saw the moon tonight, I thought that I had to give it a shot and see what I can do.

This also gave me a chance to try out Liveview on the 40D. I have to admit, I like this feature alot, and can see myself using it more than I had originally anticipated.

Anyway.. no retouching, only a crop.

p431637715-4.jpg

That's pretty reasonable for a zoom with a 2x T/C. Centered images work okay as the normal softness of the combination doesn't come into play.

Re- the LiveView comment....did it help or was it simply that the ambient lighting that allowed you to preview better than in sunlight?

Bob

I took about 5 shots. The first few allowed the camera to focus and then the last few I allowed the camera to focus, switched to LV and then fine tuned it myself. It was pretty close, but i found that i could do a little better manually and with LV.

Funnily enuf,

not wanting to butt in here but, I took this yesterday while waiting for a biplane to land at a local airfield.

Coincidentally using a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS with a 2x extender but using a 400D. No preperation, handheld, just looked up saw the moon and thought I'd give it a try.

exif data shows 16:16pm, 1/320th, f5.6, ISO100. Straight out the camera apart from resize.

Yours is better than mine! :clap:

Moon5.jpg

Here is my moon shot with 70 - 200 2.8 IS and 2x extender....seems a bit soft? It was handheld mind you...

moon.jpg

Don't mind the thread being hijacked :)

Canon Bob: Thanks for digging out the exif

Admirable: I wish I could achieve anything remotely like that hand held. Especially with this lens, I think I need to get back to the gym.

Purpleclouds: Initially I had my tripod set at shoulder level and I extended the centre column but found movement was still causing blur. so then I lowered the centre column and extended the legs fully to give maximum support. Remember to keep the ISO to 100 to minimise that noise :)

Whereas 1.4x converters were apparently better quality than 2x converters.............is that still the case... or did I read that Canon now use better glass etc in the 2x now and they have improved?

Yes Janice, 1.4 converters are still better than 2x ones, from any manufacturer, purely for the science of magnifiying the image, the mk2 canon 2x is better than the Mk1 though. One day ill take shots with bare lens, 1.4 and 2x tc and show 100% crops, althogh i think Paul (Grendel) may have done this already

Back