Moonlight on Loch Portree

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
I went out to try a moonlight shot last night.
Not easy by any means, as its too dark to see what you're framing and too dark to focus even with the help of liveview.
I've had to clone out a couple of boats (motion blur) and some seaweed floating on the water.
A fair bit of noise reduction applied too, and now it looks ok I think.

I suppose the best bet would be to get there early and frame/focus, then wait for the scene to darken and shoot.

180sec, iso100, F16, 35mm

3800048795_2a65c5d8b2_o.jpg

I'm not sure that that really works to be honest. The moon doesn't look like the moon, more of a sort of blurry sun. Might be worth trying out getting there early.

I'm not sure that that really works to be honest. The moon doesn't look like the moon, more of a sort of blurry sun. Might be worth trying out getting there early.

This one is a bit of a learning curve, so I will keep trying.
The trouble is the moon wasnt high enough in the sky earlier.

Perhaps a higher iso shot with a sharper moon would work better:thinking:

Yeah, I think I know what you are trying to achieve. I'd love to get that kind of moon shot, but have never even got close, but I~ think it only really works if the moon is pin sharp.

Please allow me to add my experience. I've been down this road a few times in a quest to capture the perfect full moon in the perfect setting. Some photographers have the perfect formula but things happen and even the best laid plans get messed up. Here's my account of what happened to me last year while at Yosemite Park in full view of the Half Dome on a full moon night. You can find it at http://www.photosunderthesun.com
Click on blog and go to "What's Wrong with This Picture" (July 8 under Archives). The settings for the full moon are: ISO 100 200mm 30" @ f16

Your picture is LOVELY, BTW.

Happy shooting,

Patricia Downey

Back