Moonlit long exposure (second pic added)

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
300 seconds (5 minutes) at f8 iso 100.

Taken not far from the shore of Lake Lucern, Switzerland at about midnight....

20090912104034_moonlittreesmall.jpg

Here's another one from a few nights later in the Lauterbrunnen Valley with mist rolling in and out over the duration of the exposure......

3915640360_6cc7428fc3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. It was fun to take. There's something quite cool about being alone in a field late at night with a full moon......that was until I tripped over an electric fence and got jolted a couple of times and yelped like a little girl :puke:

Very nice, what is it thats coming of the right side of the tree (looks like a ladder or something?) bet you're glad you were alone when tripping over the fence, didn't have to worry about anyone hearing you yelp like a girl lol

Well done,most people would be in bed, shows its worth goig out for some different shots. Got anymore to view ?

Hi Tim,
love your second photo, very atmospheric with an ethereal quality to it. Any more?
What camera/lens did you use?

Thanks guys. I wish I had more but these were the only two clear nights I had and it took about two hours each night to get just one shot by the time I waited for the right gap in the clouds and got the exposure length sorted.

mbscad - I use a d90 with sigma 10-20 at f8, iso 200. #2 has had pretty much no processing except a crop. The D90 is supposed to be the best performing crop sensor camera for long exposures as the noise reduction function is new and improved and they have solved the amp glow issue. I'm sure all Nikon's from here on in will perform equally as well.

I love the 2nd image, its the best image of that type I have ever seen

awesome image here! i can see star trail! patience and excellent use of long exposure!

2 great shots and the mist in #2 really makes it a stunner. Well worth the effort and pain. :clap:

+1 to the stunning shots, I like them both for different reasons, the startails in the first are cool, and the mist and cloud motion in the second. I bet they would look great printed off poster size :)

Love the second picture. It has a nice dreamy feel to it.

The second shot did it for me! What a gorgeous-looking capture, that certainly has a ethereal look about it.
Excellent work.

Wow and wow again, these are superb, I really like both of them and dont think I can choose a favorite.

Jeepers, thanks Guys. I thought this thread died off a while ago but really appreciate all the comments.

To be honest I think I just got rather lucky with the conditions....full moon, partial cloud, rolling mist, no light pollution and it obviously helped that I was camping in the middle of the most dramatic valley in Europe (my tent was a few hundred meters from where #2 was taken).

Night time landscapes wasn't something I had considered before this trip but I think i'll be planning my next rural holiday around the lunar calendar so I can have another crack.

OMG #2! What is the details on this please? Settings wise? It has to be one of the most stunning images I have ever seen! WOW!

Mitch

Back