Moray Coast last Saturday

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I enjoyed a great little flight from Kingston beach to Portsoy on the Moray Coast along with two other paramotor pilots on Saturday past.

Many more images were taken but for some reason these three remind me how much I enjoyed the flight.

#1 Richard over Bow Fiddle rock (famous rock with most popular view looking into the "arch" that is obscured from this angle)
5999132929_02dbe526bc_b.jpg

#2 Coming soon to a Bacon roll near you....
5999133593_b9d6accb13_b.jpg

#3 I know nothing about this monument except it is set in a very pretty backdrop.
5999134369_83c47e0632_b.jpg

Really like No.2.

No.3 is Findlater Doocot.

Dave

Great suff as ever.

Love the paterns in the Doocot shot

Love the second shot with the pigs. It makes for a really unusual perspective - it almost looks like a model scene.

#3 I know nothing about this monument except it is set in a very pretty backdrop.
QUOTE]

Fantastic photos, I particularly like number 3. It looks an interesting monument so I just Googled it find out more:

Findlater Doocot
The doocot at Findlater dates from the 16th century, and is a Category 'A' listed building. It is of rubble construction, and limewashed. The protruding stone bands at intervals are to discourage rats from getting inside. Doos are semi-domesticated Rock Doves (Columba livia), the ancestors of the common feral pigeons found in towns. The birds bred almost all year round and provided eggs and fresh meat in winter, and their droppings were a useful fertiliser. However they fed on surrounding crops, so a law in 1617 stipulated that doocots must not be built less than two miles from the boundary of the estate, so in effect only substantial landowners could build one. This one is associated with Findlater Castle, about half a mile away. It is a 'beehive' doocot, the oldest type, and contains some 700 nesting boxes, each measuring about 15cm x 15cm x 36cm . The boxes start about 18 inches (45 centimetres) off the floor, and taper up to the top, where there was a opening through which the birds could come and go. A ladder on a pivoting stone in the centre of the doocot gave access to the nest boxes. Young pigeons, called 'peesers' were harvested when they were about four weeks old, usually in the morning when the parent birds were out feeding. There was a belief that the destruction of a doocot would be followed within the year by the death of a family member.

I like No3 the most unusual shots

Those are great - shows that aerial photography can add a completely new dimension to landmarks. There's a guy round me in a paramotor that gets quite a few photos featured on the local bbc news and weather!

I really like #3, it has a great pattern/geometric feel. I'd be quite tempted to crop the sea and paraglider out just to leave the rows of hay around the monument, and then perhaps try a monochrome/sepia conversion.

Great stuff(y)

Aled

Back