more African problems.....

Edit My Images
Yes
So how can I improve these please......

This one's a big problem - can I adjust the image to lose the shadow and if so, how?

Simba7.jpg

This one was up a tree to escape the flies. I don't want to lose the "perching aspect" but what can I do to improve the shot?

SerengetiLion2.jpg

Any ideas on this one?

LionPensioner2.jpg

How about this one?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kuduland/StandingElephantNgorogoroCrater.jpg

I seem to be the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to opportunity but the unluckiest when it comes to talent and ability!

LINK TO ELEPHANT PIC BROKEN BY CT

shakari said:
I seem to be the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to opportunity but the unluckiest when it comes to talent and ability!

:laugh1:Trust me... we all have that problem, and wildlife photography is very demanding anyway.

Why remove the shadow in your 1st shot?? Those pools of light and shadow shout out 'Africa'. I'd increase the contrast to accentuate that even more.

The others are erm.... OK , but I'd really like to see a bigger version of your last shot of the elephant. :)

Here's my take on your lion shot...

Simba.jpg

See how pale and washed out your original looks? A decent processing house would correct that at the printing stage, but with film you're completely at the mercy of your average high street processor and the standard isn't good. With film you really do need to pay for good processing. A lot of it is completely automated now with no human judgement involved in the process. It's worth bearing in mind that with the light levels you're working in your shots are going to tend to be over -exposed, so it may be advisable to give some compensation in the camera. With digital and shooting in RAW format, you have massive control over your results. :)

Your elephant shot is fantastic and doesn't want or need any improvement, it speaks for itself. The only thing it suffers from is being a not very good scan from a print. Lovely opportune shot. :thumb:

I like the 3rd shot, not because of quality but because I was only a foot or two from the subject...... but I guess it's one of those 'you should have been there things'

shakari said:
I like the 3rd shot, not because of quality but because I was only a foot or two from the subject...... but I guess it's one of those 'you should have been there things'

I can believe that. :) These are very low res scans though, which isn't helping your pics either - you're allowed up to 160kb and 800 pixels along the longest side. ;)

LOL. And now you've gone way oversize with your elephant pic. :rules:

shakari said:
:doh: Sorry about that.

How did you improve the Lion shot?

I just adjusted the levels to increase the contrast, and adjusted the colour balance for a warmer appearance.

wow no advice offered, but that first image is so amazing, those eyes are fantastic, and just say " one more step and your tea is out" brilliant.

Some excellent captures but as CT says I think your photo processing place is letting you down. I had a play with your 2nd Lion shot to see what I could pull out of the scanned image.

lion.jpg

The 'Lion with shadow' shot is easily the best you've posted so far - worthy of publication in fact.
Forget trying to remove that shadow as it serves to draw attention to the most interesting bit of the image - the Lion's eyes.

Simba7.jpg

Superb effort - now see if you can replicate that every time...

Agrre with the other comments though - your shots are being let down by mediocre processing.
If you're going to stick with film, you need to find a professional processing house who will take better care of your work. It won't be too much more expensive and there should be a few around still.
Check your local camera clubs and Photo magazines.

CT's version of shot is spot on....as stated the draw to the eyes is excellent.

I don't necessarily go in for wildlife shots, but the shadow shot is outstanding. You really caught the animal's 'power', so to speak - I've only ever seen one pic of a lion that betters it, so well done!

Back