More (better??) nifty fifty gig shots

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from my last post http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=241448 which drew some (probably justified) criticism re shots lacking atmosphere.......are these any better??

Same gig, same position as before (ie squashed into a corner right at the front of crowd, just inches in front of guitarist). It was a very hot, very sweaty venue!!

MG_3053.jpg

MG_3042.jpg

MG_3050-2.jpg

C&C welcome.

I think they are coming along nicely. I had a search to a similar set of images I shot back in 2008 when I was still taking photos and worth looking at some of the tones and the use of light. As good as the 50mm is sometimes it can make framing tricky at small venues as you've not got the room to move about.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82104&highlight=avalon

That said, I suspect as ever the band are happy with the images, and it turn so should you be.

Regards,

Pete.

I would pull some more blacks in these pics (well, in B&W ones) .

p.s. Diego - do you still charge 25q for a band member ? I'm just thinking of doing gigs as well (can't see myself doing weddings and family portraits)

Hi Pete and thanks for your much appreciated comments. A D3 would be a dream....but I'm a Canon girl saving up for a better low light camera (can't decide if I want to go full frame with the 5D mkll or stick to a crop and get the 7D).

I usually use my 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron lens at gigs but on this night didn't (can't remember my reasoning at the time) and had to manage as best I could, because once at the front, it was so packed I couldn't move an inch!

I have hired a 24mm f1.4 for my next lot of gigs with the boys (UK tour starts July 23rd http://www.myspace.com/heavensbasementofficial and I am going to try the settings you have suggested (though I generally use AV.....when I have tried manual I usually get it wrong)!! :LOL:

I'll post a few on here if any turn out ok.

Thanks again,
Carole

PS: Starastin...Still learning how best to process, but the histogram shows my blacks to be ok. If I darken anymore, won't they block up??? I'll have a play.

Last edited:
Hi, I like these shots, together with those on your Flickr site.

The shots taken of the band members individually on your uploaded link were very clear too and I guess if you had been able to shoot more of the band together or at least in part, it would have enhanced your shots even further. Personally, I think you did a grand job. :)

PS: Starastin...Still learning how best to process, but the histogram shows my blacks to be ok. If I darken anymore, won't they block up??? I'll have a play.

personally I don't look at the histogram, for me it's all about the mood, how the pic feels. I like them darker. if you shoot raw you can get both - good histogram and very blackish photos. but as long as you and the band are happy, everything's fine. I'm still learning as well :) don't we do it all life ? :baby:

I would pull some more blacks in these pics (well, in B&W ones) .

p.s. Diego - do you still charge 25q for a band member ? I'm just thinking of doing gigs as well (can't see myself doing weddings and family portraits)

No, I dont shoot for money , profit at all now. I just take the odd picture is all. (y)

I think the third one is the best of the three.

The first one's facial expression isn't the best and his head merging with the singer sort of doesn't work, the guitar is outside of the DOF and those last two points frame the guitarist's face, which doesn't look good.

Second one, again facial expression is the key and I don't think its got it. Also a slightly deeper DOF would have improved things, to include the singer. I don't like the framing either, too much space above the heads... the shot feels cramped but not tight and the space just makes me think of the wasted space.

Third one, now you are starting to get the guitarist and the guitar inside the DOF. The avant-garde angle/composition works well and his expression is much nicer too.

When you are shooting people doing stuff the facial expressions yielded really are the key to a good shot. Frame something up, track it and bang out a good few shots because you cannot control what they are doing. Thats not hosing it in my book, its just trying to get a flattering photo of someone who is not posing for a photo!

The big technical problem I think you have run into here is having to use the 50 1.8 to make up for 40D poor low light performance. My opinion is that 50mm is not a good size for a crop body and the subject distances you tend to naturally, subconciously end up with make for poor framing. I also don't like the very technical sharpness the 50 1.8 (sometimes LOL) yields, its all very inhuman and cold.

The answer is probably a D700/D3 and a Nikon 24-70 or 70-200.... superb low light AF performace, high ISO available to allow some deeper DOF, better renditions from the lenses and zoom lenses to allow for more flexible framing... unless you want to shoot totally wide and crop to compose - I prefer to use the zoom to start with. Primes are all well and good when you are doing studio stuff, less good for whats essentially candid action shots.

I think the third one is the best of the three.

The first one's facial expression isn't the best and his head merging with the singer sort of doesn't work, the guitar is outside of the DOF and those last two points frame the guitarist's face, which doesn't look good.

Second one, again facial expression is the key and I don't think its got it. Also a slightly deeper DOF would have improved things, to include the singer. I don't like the framing either, too much space above the heads... the shot feels cramped but not tight and the space just makes me think of the wasted space.

Third one, now you are starting to get the guitarist and the guitar inside the DOF. The avant-garde angle/composition works well and his expression is much nicer too.

When you are shooting people doing stuff the facial expressions yielded really are the key to a good shot. Frame something up, track it and bang out a good few shots because you cannot control what they are doing. Thats not hosing it in my book, its just trying to get a flattering photo of someone who is not posing for a photo!

The big technical problem I think you have run into here is having to use the 50 1.8 to make up for 40D poor low light performance. My opinion is that 50mm is not a good size for a crop body and the subject distances you tend to naturally, subconciously end up with make for poor framing. I also don't like the very technical sharpness the 50 1.8 (sometimes LOL) yields, its all very inhuman and cold.

The answer is probably a D700/D3 and a Nikon 24-70 or 70-200.... superb low light AF performace, high ISO available to allow some deeper DOF, better renditions from the lenses and zoom lenses to allow for more flexible framing... unless you want to shoot totally wide and crop to compose - I prefer to use the zoom to start with. Primes are all well and good when you are doing studio stuff, less good for whats essentially candid action shots.

Thanks for taking the time to comment so fully ...I appreciate your time and your opinions and I will try to take on all that you suggest.....except for the Nikon bits......I just can't afford to swap! :crying: I think I will stick to my 17-50mm f2.8 for tonight as there is no pit, so I'll be right up close again.

xx

I have to agree with desantnik on most parts...

Although I think the first shot could be improved if it were cropped tight around the guitarist. This'll get rid of the distracting 'other person coming out of his head' thing. Although it's a pity you haven't got his hand in the frame, I think you'd need that for the crop to really work. Try it and see what it looks like.

And I'm not too sure about the facial expression of the third one, he looks a bit 'pleased with himself'. Although, I suppose it really depends what type of music it is and what look you're going for; if you are trying to flatter or go for effect. Otherwise it's a nice shot.

The second shot isn't great. But I think it would've looked better focussed on the singer and without the guitarist at all. The singers expression looks much more interesting. With the guitarist you've got him in that weird space with his eye just out of sight and his head not quite in profile yet. I'm not sure if its just me that finds this weird, but I definitely do. Nothing you can do about this shot now but it'll be good to know for next time.

Good luck with the next gig.
-Barry

Back