More bird help please!

Andrew,
Just curious as to what in Rich's image caused you to ask about back focus.
This is something which I am almost paranoid about.

David

I am also curious Andrew as to why you think there is a small back focus issue :shrug: I dont want to hijack Tori`s thread but as you have asked then it will be an interesting insight for maybe herself and others. Just to clarify that if there was a problem it aint there no more as the camera has gone :D I have just dug out the original Raw file and to me there does not seem to be an issue with the focus.

Andrew,
Just curious as to what in Rich's image caused you to ask about back focus.
This is something which I am almost paranoid about.

David

I was talking about the OP not the KF!!

Should I be worried?! I have no idea what you're all talking about now :(

Should I be worried?! I have no idea what you're all talking about now :(
At this stage you dont need to be concerned Tori. Whats being talked about is the focusing accuracy of your camera/lens combination. When the auto focus focuses on an image, it should be sharp at the point that you selected to focus on. Its possible for the focus to be slightly out of adjustment and instead of focusing on your selected point, its actually focusing just in front or behind the selected point. I hope this makes sense.
Looking at your images and the edits CT did, I honestly dont think you have any problems there, and even if there is, its not worth getting involved with until you are really refining your photography. So in answer to your question, no :)

Last edited:
At this stage you dont need to be concerned Tori. Whats being talked about is the focusing accuracy of your camera/lens combination. When the auto focus focuses on an image, it should be sharp at the point that you selected to focus on. Its possible for the focus to be slightly out of adjustment and instead of focusing on your selected point, its actually focusing just in front or behind the selected point. I hope this makes sense.
Looking at your images and the edits CT did, I honestly dont think you have any problems there, and even if there is, its not worth getting involved with until you are really refining your photography. So in answer to your question, no :)

I second what he saysTori ;) You also have to take into consideration Tori that the two shots you have here are on feeders, I would say that there was a strong possibilty that at the moment you took the first shot the feeder was probably still moving slightly from the bird landing on it. And the second shot they are both in flight which you have also managed to capture. Now go off and get building :LOL:

I'm building already! My living room has bird hide bits in it! At least this time the bits are not off a 10 foot long trike! (Yes I built bits of it in my living room...only he clean bits lol)

I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about. The feeder was moving quite a bit :)

I'm building already! My living room has bird hide bits in it! At least this time the bits are not off a 10 foot long trike! (Yes I built bits of it in my living room...only he clean bits lol)

I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about. The feeder was moving quite a bit :)

Tori, as Rich said ...just get building... everyone is now waiting to see your shots taken from the ToriHide...:clap::clap:

David

No it wasn't actually as it was free flying in a demo and no jessees either.

Yep it is bigger than a blue tit but all I was trying to say was the 70-300 lens is a good lens and not to give up.

bit smaller... very large crop, absolutely no PP work whatsoever, apart from the crop, using the 70-300, shot through a closed dirty window. Needs PP sharpening etc etc.... but once again trying to say do not give up on the 70-300, keep persevering.

As Rich said David it was said in jest.

And can I say that it was a very nice capture, love the bright yellow eyes.(y)

If the lens is anything like my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 then it will be a cracker.

Martin... all is OK as I said to Rich I had just got of a cr*p conference call which just rumbled on and on and on when I read the replies.

Glad you liked the owl, she (Molly) is a beautiful bird in real life.

David

Andrew, thanks for clearing that up as I could not work out where the "problem" may have been with the KF.

David

Looking at the original photo it looked like some of the feeder stake was in better focus that the feeder and I assumed the stake was going away from the PoF. A moving feeder may explain this tho'. Obviously it is easy to check the focus, but I assume not correct on this Canon?

KF was KO.

Dont get lost Tori, Andrew is talking about front and back focusing still. In my opinion and Rich agrees, there isnt any problem thats apparant, and even if it is, its only about fine tuning. I have 2 cameras now and a few more in the past, and I have, and have had many lenses, I have checked each one for focusing accuracy over the years and not once have I had to make any fine tuning adjustments, so please dont worry over this.

To Andrew, the focusing can be checked for sure, but the microadjustment facility starts on the 50D and not the 500D. Its more important that Tori gets used to using the gear she has and her technique, and not to worry about advanced subjects that will unneccesarily complicate the learning curve, and in this case, not make any significant difference, or even any at all. (y)

Eh? I'm lost now!
KF - Kingfisher
KO - Knock Out

Tori,
Long lenses are not enough, you still need to get up close.
Anyway's with the subject filling the frame the DoF is the same for a given F stop no matter what the length of the lens. Just the longer the lens is, the harder it will be to hold it still, especially at slow shutter speeds!

Eye2.jpg

The above is a 100% crop from a 150mm lens with a "tame"(ish) wild blackbird. All you need to do is feed them regularly and wait!

Last edited:
I bought a new table yesterday, it's full of seed and I have 12 fat balls hanging up, a bread holder and a coconut thing. My hide is coming on. I have to get a new blade for my jigsaw tomorrow and I might have something to post ;-) (Not a bird pic, a ToriHide pic lol)

Checkout the Tesco Value dried fruit. I feed at the same time each day and the birds love to pose before their reward! And that way they the will be there when you are too. Once they are used to you you don't need to hide and even off camera flash does not bother them!

I bought a new table yesterday, it's full of seed and I have 12 fat balls hanging up, a bread holder and a coconut thing. My hide is coming on. I have to get a new blade for my jigsaw tomorrow and I might have something to post ;-) (Not a bird pic, a ToriHide pic lol)
If this hide is going to be motorised as was suggested earlier, I hope its not going to be another ToriCanon :cautious: :D get it... Torrey Canyon :puke: oh dear, I wish I hadnt said that now :exit:

1967...I was minus 6 lol. And yes I did google ;) apparently the oil is still killing wildlife today, 44 years later...

Dried fruit? I'm trying not to put anything down that smells 'too good'. My ThomasCat kills a couple of rats a week in the summer here. I live in a field with farms and stuff so I don't want to encourage anything that might try to gnaw it's way into my house. Not that it'd live long!
Maybe if I keep it up high it'll be ok. How high can rats jump? ThomasCats best rat was 13 inches long! It can't jump that high surely?

Hi Tori,
I've come to this thread late and you have already been given some good advice, the best being get close close close. Go to a local country park, or perhaps a pond where some ducks etc are. These type of places have birds that are used to human traffic.
When I go out I dress in conservative colours, I carry some sunflower seeds, peanuts and mixed Robin food. I put out some food on a post, tree stump or maybe a picnic table and stand back keeping quiet and still.
I find if the area has lots of people passing, and the birds are feeling brave, within minutes they are sweeping in to feed. I stand about 10-15 feet away and initially watch with my camera in view pointing in their direction. When they have been swooping in for 10 minutes I start to shoot. If I have lots of interest in the food I move in closer as the competition make them brazen.
A 300mm lens is a little on the short side but still plenty capable if you get them to come to you. Food is the way to do this.
Bird photography is very tough but very satisfying when you get it right :)

Regards,
Ian

The light and the distance are, as said, really important (though there is another member who is getting some stunning shots by combining two tele converters)

CT1.jpg

This is far from the best photo of a coal tit and it was taken through double glazing, but there was good light and the feeder was about 5 feet away, but I have still managed to get focus wrong.

The best foods I find are sunflower hearts, fat cakes and mealworms. Within a week or so, Robins will eat from your hand if you feed mealworms.

Dave

1967...I was minus 6 lol. And yes I did google ;) apparently the oil is still killing wildlife today, 44 years later...

Dried fruit? I'm trying not to put anything down that smells 'too good'. My ThomasCat kills a couple of rats a week in the summer here. I live in a field with farms and stuff so I don't want to encourage anything that might try to gnaw it's way into my house. Not that it'd live long!
Maybe if I keep it up high it'll be ok. How high can rats jump? ThomasCats best rat was 13 inches long! It can't jump that high surely?

The thing is not to feed the best stuff adlib, but only put it out when you are there to take the photos. Not many photos of rats on here maybe this could be your speciality?

I only ever took a picture of one last year lol. And this is a small one! (Note my marigolds lol)

P1040619.jpg

I'm still trying! ;-)
These are my attempts after a dabble with Lightroom and a lovely afternoon with a fellow TP'er sharing their valuable advice. It was very much appreciated and hopefully these pics will show a little bit of improvement :) They're not the greatest shots, as I know I need to be closer now, but hopefully the editing has improved a wee bit!

IMG_1738-1.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1731-Copy.jpg

IMG_1710-Copy.jpg

I'm still trying! ;-)
Yes like my missus she can be trying as well :D

As you say I think you are hampered by distance at the moment. I like the capture of the blue tit leaving the feeder, closer cropped would be better with less space to the left.

Your definitely getting there Tori, and stopping these little fellows in flight is an ambitious task, they are so quick. As has been said, getting closer now is the next major hurdle, your hide will help that no end. Keep practicing what your doing now and its all going to come good (y)

Ken, I bet your missus says the same about you! ;-)

Trev, the ToriHide has been consigned to the garage for now due to time/work etc, but hopefully next weekend will see a bit more progress with that.

Back