Green-winged Pytilia

1478533842_bdf4f32ed0.jpg

Sociable weaver

1479695388_0606c9b0fc.jpg

Violet-eared Waxbill

1477718327_58269326dc.jpg

Hope you like

MV

Well they are all just lovely. I really like the first bird very colourful. Great capture of them in the wild.

Very nice indeed! Think my pick is the plainest looking - the Finch with that lovely textured tree.

#3 looks much like a sociable weaver, just a bit bigger.

Namibia is such a fantastic country, your pictures bring back fond memories of the place. I really should get round to editing and posting a few of my own.

actually, having just checked, #3 is a sociable weaver and not a scaly feathered finch if you're interested.

#3 looks much like a sociable weaver, just a bit bigger.

I'm not 100% sure of the i-ds. I am prepared to be corrected, but I was pretty sure this was indeed a finch. And this is a sociable weaver. I think. Now, I'm not so sure. I claim no expertise with birds :bang:

Namibia is such a fantastic country, your pictures bring back fond memories of the place. I really should get round to editing and posting a few of my own.

It is indeed - we had a fantastic time there. Would love to see your pics too.

Cheers

Gah - you beat me to it. Thanks for looking.

I'm not 100% sure of the i-ds. I am prepared to be corrected, but I was pretty sure this was indeed a finch. And this is a sociable weaver. I think. Now, I'm not so sure. I claim no expertise with birds :bang:
The one on flickr looks more like a female southern masked weaver although I'm not very confident on that identification.

The one in this thread is definitely a sociable weaver - the ones that live in those huge nests you see on every other telegraph pole at the side of the road. We frequently saw them all chirrupping back into the nest when a bird of prey came nearby, I suppose it's quite easy pickings for them. I thought that they sounded quite like squeaky dog toys, very cute and adorable! And you're right about it being a finch too .

These, I believe, are scaly feathered finches.

It is indeed - we had a fantastic time there. Would love to see your pics too.

Cheers

My straight off camera and un-edited photos from Namibia can be found here.

I went away travelling last year and uploaded the photos to flickr as backup, hence the no editing. It's now over 9 months since arriving home and I've yet to find the time to properly go through all of the photos that I took while away. I'm hoping the winter will be rather less busy and I can get some of those photos properly edited, I'd love to have some displayed round our flat.

@jhob - thanks for taking the time to look up the birds for me. And I really enjoyed looking at your flickr set - again, thanks for the link. Some great photos in there.

Cheers - all with the 300mm f/4. They've all been cropped too, although not by much. Its a cracking lens.

@jhob - thanks for taking the time to look up the birds for me. And I really enjoyed looking at your flickr set - again, thanks for the link. Some great photos in there.

No worries!:) I'm no bird expert, I just really like watching and observing their behaviour. I should also add that your photos are excellent, particularly the sociable weaver one.

Thanks for the kind words about my Namibia photos too.:)

Back